P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 20-02-02, 10:06 AM   #1
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Default WinMX 3.00 Beta 5 out - Post your comments here

Hi everyone,

just noticed that Beta 5 came out.

They mention that the chat function is now decentralized. The Known Issues List doesn't seem to have improved though...

Stoepsel - eagerly awaiting your comments
Old 20-02-02, 11:09 AM   #2
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows They must have been listening?

Well blow me down, no sooner I make a comment, and 5 is out?

Problem is your link hits beta 4, I wonder if they screwed it?

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-02, 11:42 AM   #3
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Default Re: They must have been listening?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
Well blow me down, no sooner I make a comment, and 5 is out?

Problem is your link hits beta 4, I wonder if they screwed it?

Snark...
Errr, no it doesn't. The page clearly states:

WinMX v3.0 Beta Testing Current Version: BETA 5 ( NOW WITH DECENTRALIZED CHAT! )
( Wed, Feb 20, 2002 1120 GMT )

And the download link points at

Maybe you forgot to reload the page and had it in your browser cache?

Stoepsel
Old 20-02-02, 01:46 PM   #4
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows You COULD be right?

A distinct possibility, strange though, I used my usual shortcut and sure enough beta 5 was there? Oh well... You asked for comments, well here goes...:

Previous problems:

Download screen.. Load Incomplete now works (No Crash)
[But NOT tried it with an EMPTY incomplete list]
Resume of incomplete files on the OpenNap network does NOT work, NO user details stored or extracted from the ---INCOMPLETE files, so will never re-start, even if Auto-retry IS on.
[Not tried to resume on the WNP network, too few users on]
Download status: Now displayed OK

UPload screen: User name AND server now displayed OK
Time display (Time left) still random, appears on some not on others?

ChatBox: [Not the IM box or the Chat function on servers]

The REAL two-way chat box, Still does not accept incoming messages even when the remote user is actually downloading a file on the same server {rather the connection was made by the same server} Picking an ONLINE user from the HOTLIST, you can only send IM's not engage in full chat, incoming messages STILL flag up as mail, do NOT appear in the chatbox.. This is a serious departure from the procedure with 2.6, and I'm sure will bug a lot of users that have used 2.6 for this function for ages.

Memory Leak: Still evident, 2 hours and its up to 192megs
starts at about 30-40 megs, so STILL needs MemWatcher running
to keep it under control.

Which reminds me, thanks to one of the users on here for the key to memWatcher 4.0, that certainly is better than 3.0.

Well thats my latest comments, stay tuned as they say..

Snark..

Post Script: One day someone that writes P-2-P clients, will write in a SAVE SEARCH LIST function... Grrrrrrr
Old 20-02-02, 01:54 PM   #5
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Not to be pedantic but...

Just checked again, and this is on a freshly re-booted PC, your link took me to...

Snark..
Old 20-02-02, 09:20 PM   #6
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

This is what my browser shows:
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-02, 07:20 AM   #7
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Damned Cache?

Grrrrrr... Still showing Beta 4 here... Oh what the hell, TG has proved it so forget I piped up OK?

Beta 5 running for 48 hours continuous, no crashes under normal operation, with lots of chatting (ask GR how long we kept it going)
lots of searching, general browsing, and running IE 6.0, OE 6, emailling and even running PSP 7.02 to do some piccy work..

So, just the lack of PLAY in the Right Click Menu option to sort, and a few minor niggles, and I reckon WinMx 3.0 will be ready to go.

Forces one crash this morning by sorting quickly a 5000 enty browse listing before it finished, but thats the only one.

Snark...
Old 22-02-02, 11:00 AM   #8
JackSpratts

hey snark, what's your browser?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-02, 01:32 PM   #9
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows What's my Browser?

Hey Js,

Why do you want to know? you are NOT going to tell me about Opera are you?

Normally IE 6 (& 5.5 on the other PC)
Somtimes Opera, when I can get it integrated with WS-FTP and Naviscope
Sometimes "OffByOne" and I bet you never heard of that?

Running Winny 3.0 yet? Go on be a devil try it...

Snark..
Old 22-02-02, 01:36 PM   #10
JackSpratts

um...opera? what's that? and yeah, beta 3 but geez louise nobody's home.

- js.
Old 22-02-02, 01:43 PM   #11
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows No one HOME?

Using the WRONG Soap Js,

182 downloads from me last night 1.3gigs of files, 60 odd of them to WNP users, definately the WRONG soap?

You know my server nickname don't you try a search for the name

Cyril Tawney I'm probably one of about 5 that have his material

Snark... Hey you must be sleeping on the keyboard?
Old 22-02-02, 05:10 PM   #12
JackSpratts

well well well. i haven't used it in days sr. oh wait, just thought of something; i'm testing without opennap, how 'bout you? will try v5 forthwith. as in immediately. as in i'm on it now.

wow, snazzy bandwidth graph. hey, what's with the two line transfers? that's new.

- js.
Old 22-02-02, 06:14 PM   #13
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows All part of the magic

wow, snazzy bandwidth graph. hey, what's with the two line transfers? that's new.

You are seeing the WNP multi-source working, so you must be
getting some WNP access in your patch..

Put in some of the opennap servers, give them a try. WNP is a bit quiet compared to ONap at the moment. Still some oddities, that I cannot pin down to Winny directly, but at least you now know who is D/l'ing from you and what server they are using on Onap,
I think beta 3 was without that feature.

Personally I would like that feature user controlled, so one could allocate more of the screen to these increasingly long file and path names people use today, and still have enough space for all the other gubbo needed.. without needing the slide bar.

At least the screen positions STAY PUT something that Morph NEVER could get right..

Snark..
Old 22-02-02, 11:34 PM   #14
JackSpratts

wow...hey, what's with the two line transfers? that's new.
Quote:
You are seeing the WNP multi-source working, so you must be getting some WNP access in your patch.
what i figured. interesting. unlike xolox/morph you can see them. nice touch. wonder if it does more than 2. be cool to see like 14 coming in at once.

- js.
Old 25-02-02, 06:21 PM   #15
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows WPN net

I think I saw eleven in one list once, often see 7-9 now, as more are getting online. try a search for WinMx300beta but don't forget to use the ANY file ANY bitrate option, as you are looking for .EXE files, you'll find quite a lot that have downoladed it, anf the previoius versions.

If you want a complete reasonably up to date opennapconfig.dat
file, to use straight away, rather than hand enter all the servers, do a search for opennapcfg.zip the file you want is about 4072 bytes, that contains the instruction file as well as the basic DAT file.

transferring your .DAT file to someone else will mean they get your user nick and password, OK so the password is encoded, but you don't want TWO of you on do you?

If you do transfer a config.dat file don't forget to go to settings
Opennap, and press the default button, this will over write the user details and password in the imported file with your details.

Oh and very important... *** VERY*** don't swap config.dat files with WinMx300 running, it must always be closed completely, or it will overwrite your new config.dat with its old stored data.

Been there done it. a few times now. Good idea to rename your old one, and keep a copy of the new as well, just in case..

Snark..
Old 25-02-02, 06:37 PM   #16
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: WPN net

Quote:
I think I saw eleven in one list once, often see 7-9 now, as more are getting online. try a search for WinMx300beta but don't forget to use the ANY file ANY bitrate option, as you are looking for .EXE files, you'll find quite a lot that have downoladed it, anf the previoius versions.

If you want a complete reasonably up to date opennapconfig.dat
file, to use straight away, rather than hand enter all the servers, do a search for opennapcfg.zip the file you want is about 4072 bytes, that contains the instruction file as well as the basic DAT file.

transferring your .DAT file to someone else will mean they get your user nick and password, OK so the password is encoded, but you don't want TWO of you on do you?

If you do transfer a config.dat file don't forget to go to settings
Opennap, and press the default button, this will over write the user details and password in the imported file with your details.

Oh and very important... *** VERY*** don't swap config.dat files with WinMx300 running, it must always be closed completely, or it will overwrite your new config.dat with its old stored data.

Been there done it. a few times now. Good idea to rename your old one, and keep a copy of the new as well, just in case..

Snark..
Just what I was looking for Snark HAhahaha. beta5 is tucked away into it's own little bed. presently have 2.6 open and very active (yea, i'm greedy ).

Can't run 'em side by side.................or can I LOL!!

C&Ping your instructs as we speak!!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-02, 10:26 PM   #17
JackSpratts

hey gr, how many otrs do you have anyway? the museum of broadcasting's looking for your phone number, they want to make a deal!

ditto on the cut and paste snarkster, thanks. i was just about to ask you that.

-js.
Old 26-02-02, 06:29 AM   #18
goldie
yea, it's me.

Big Laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
hey gr, how many otrs do you have anyway? the museum of broadcasting's looking for your phone number, they want to make a deal!

ditto on the cut and paste snarkster, thanks. i was just about to ask you that.

-js.
Here I am LOL!!

Somewhere around 440 (just about 5 gigs worth thanks to some very generous OTRnap'ers) - not bad for dial-up and about 4 weeks worth of work LOL

Having a blast rekindling old memories - Give me another 4 weeks and I'll be sneaking around the 'net in disguise dragging my precious otr's around in a brown bag

Another 1,000 or so to go though - Back to work I go !!!
Old 28-02-02, 02:57 PM   #19
goldie
yea, it's me.

So There! What I hate about 3.0 (5)

Once you've queued up your download list and your file is complete, it freakin' disappears off the list completely!!!!! Now ya gotta go diggin' into your shared folder to see the files you've just dl'd......

Hate it.

Searching: argh! If doing multiple searches you must be sure to hit the "clear" icon or you'll be soooooorrrrrryyyyyyyyyy!!

Hate it.

Okay, I know these things aren't earthshattering.

Default ul and dl sharings are way to high for my 56k - 8 uls and 8 dls does not happy campers make - must double check the settings.

Edited to add: Opennap issues:

1. After ISP forced disconnect, open nap server screen will not allow the previously active opennap servers to reconnect nor to completely disconnect. Instead I'm getting a "searching for host" or similar message once I've reconnected myself to the internet. Right clicking on the Connect/Disconnect option does nothing.

Solution: Completely close down Winmx then reopen. This seems to bring a whole new set of problems:

2. Although 305 saves my incomplete dls it does NOT seem to save the user information the file was orginally downloaded from, i.e., after shutting down winmx, reconnecting to previously running opennap servers, going to the transfer screen, clicking show incompletes, seeing the incomplete files but being unable to resume any of them because winmx cannot find the file (stuck in "finding sources").

I wonder if this also occurs on the P2P system???

P2P issues:

Winmx does not keep a record of files uploaded by other users. Once their file is completed - it disappears leaving no record of any activity whatsoever. If one were to be troubleshooting their connections, you'd be SOOL if you needed any of your uploaders information (connection reset by peer, connection closed, etc.).

Last edited by goldie : 28-02-02 at 05:10 PM.
Old 28-02-02, 05:13 PM   #20
goldie
yea, it's me.

Evil Laughter Manual bump UP

Found a disturbing problem and edited my last post to reflect it but editing doesn't bump the post up .

Hopefully someone else has noticed the same things and knows if there's a work around I don't know about.