P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 28-01-02, 11:07 AM   #1
RDixon

Default Why Audio Galaxy Sucks

http://www.poenews.com/inhouse/vx2.htm
Old 28-01-02, 11:25 AM   #2
Bronxie
Culo!

Very Angry

I only use AG when I absolutely need to. (when I can't find a song anywhere else)
Now lets talk about those pop ups on Morpheus
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 12:01 PM   #3
JackSpratts

this is becoming all too common in all pgms, not just ag or even p2ps. ad-aware is valiantly trying but is falling behind i fear. the more one dives into the sewers of spywareworld the longer it takes to get clean.

i'm getting a secondary pc just to run internet apps and i'm registering as mother george mahatma ghandi-teresa bush. that'll fix 'em! not...

we need a universal reg cleaner that WORKS and anyone can use. better yet, we need an app that prevents 3rd party spyware installation to begin with. i've read some of these deinstall instructions and wow are they convoluted. 90% of the users won't bother and half of the ones that try wind up tanking their pc.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 12:06 PM   #4
zombywoof

While I use various p2p apps, Audiogalaxy is at the bottom of the pecking order for my choice of sharing music. Audiognome is still the top app for mp3 filesharing. Morpheus would be better if there were more higher bitrates to be found there.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 12:08 PM   #5
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronxie
I only use AG when I absolutely need to. (when I can't find a song anywhere else)
Now lets talk about those pop ups on Morpheus
tgs' pop-up killer that works, bronxie. post #12 i think, from peer-to-peer. if slightly modified, it may be usefull in other apps.

- js.
Old 28-01-02, 12:12 PM   #6
RDixon

I still use AudioGnome. No pop-ups; no spyware. For the average 56k user it's the best choice. If I could get a broadband connection again I would switch to Morpeus but with only 4k of throughput their pop up ads take up too much bandwidth.
Old 28-01-02, 12:18 PM   #7
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by RDixon
I still use AudioGnome. No pop-ups; no spyware. For the average 56k user it's the best choice. If I could get a broadband connection again I would switch to Morpeus but with only 4k of throughput their pop up ads take up too much bandwidth.
Audiognome also does well on broadband. I figure many aG users throttle down the the bandwidth to conserve it. I don't limit bandwidth off my pc and it's not unusual for downloads and uploads to average between 30-50k for broadband transfers.
Old 28-01-02, 01:17 PM   #8
kristof47
Grand Theft Music

I still use AudioGalaxy and it's still the best for me. I find tons of stuff there that I won't even try to get on Morpheus because you just can't find it. AudioGalaxy's selection is much bigger especially for the stuff I look for.
Old 28-01-02, 01:48 PM   #9
schmooky007
hi

Cool

i don't use kazaa or audiogalaxy or any other p2p garbage that contains spyware. only winmx, IRC, newsgroups and the web
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 02:14 PM   #10
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up

This program piggybacks off AG. No spyware.

http://www.ractive.ch/gpl/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 02:30 PM   #11
theflaco

Now I only d/l full albums or full live sets (all at least at 192)
so I need a good working p2p!

Morpheus = very few albums or live sets at high bitrate!
WinMx = being number 143 in queue or busy queueable!
Audiognome = allways (almost) remotely queued!
Audiogalaxy = works fine! No queue, allways find what I´m looking for!
No spyware in my machine.

BTW
Hotline = best right now for appz & full albums/sets!

theflaco
theflaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 03:54 PM   #12
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Morpheus and low bit rates?

Oscar posted...
Morpheus would be better if there were more higher bitrates to be found there.

You know I've seen this written so many times I am begining to believe its true?

But then how come I got two whole Ambrosia albums, track by track at 320kbits each, Some Steeley Dan (Two against Nature) at 224-256 VBR, maybe its just that the more serious folks use AG and the majority of MP3 micro player users use Morpheus?

Whatever, I have built up and contributed to many hundreds of good quality high bit rate files on Morpheus, so I cant agree totally with you Oscar...

Snark
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 05:34 PM   #13
zombywoof

Default Re: Morpheus and low bit rates?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
Oscar posted...
Morpheus would be better if there were more higher bitrates to be found there.

You know I've seen this written so many times I am begining to believe its true?

But then how come I got two whole Ambrosia albums, track by track at 320kbits each, Some Steeley Dan (Two against Nature) at 224-256 VBR, maybe its just that the more serious folks use AG and the majority of MP3 micro player users use Morpheus?

Whatever, I have built up and contributed to many hundreds of good quality high bit rate files on Morpheus, so I cant agree totally with you Oscar...

Snark
Problem is, I don't think everyone realizes that a minor registry fix will free up those higher bitrates. As for finding higher bitrates, for as popular as morpheus is, I would think there would be a larger database of 192k or higher files. I know they are out there because I do see them on morpheus, its just that i would think it would be easier to find more based on the large selection morpheus users have to offer. Other than that, morpheus works fine.
Old 28-01-02, 06:04 PM   #14
shoes58
Professional Curmudgeon

So There! Lose the pop-ups in Morpheus!

One trick I used to post in (pre-nuked forums) Morpheus to lose the pop-ups AND kill the annoying ad in the bottom left corner is to add ads.musiccity.com to the restricted sites list in your internet options. For those who have forgotten, in IE go to Tools=>internet options=>Security. Highlight the restricted sites icon and click the Sites button. Add the above address, close all your open dialog boxes and POOF! No more pop-ups OR left corner banner ads! Remember, this will only work in Morpheus. For all other sites, Pop-up Killer is needed. You can get it here: http://software.xfx.net/utilities/popupkiller/
Old 04-02-02, 03:00 PM   #15
Marius

Morpheus may be all very well for folk who want to download low bitrate Britney Spears songs, but nothing even comes close to Audiogalaxy for acquiring rare imports and the work of less well known artists.

Only newbies and idiots download Audiogalaxy from the company website - everyone else uses the spyware-free version that's readily available on the net.

Audiogalaxy automated music piracy. Unlike Napster, when you had to hover over every single download, with Audiogalaxy you can queue up 500 songs, go out to dinner, and when you return a good proportion of them will be waiting on your hard drive. That represents a quantum leap forward. Why people still use antiquated programs like Morpheus I'll never understand.

That's not to diss Napster - the program enabled me to get hundreds of songs that I never expected to hear again. But there were many, many artists whose work I could never find on Napster. On Audiogalaxy, I've been able to find every song I wanted, eventually.

I tried Morpheus once. Not one single song was available by any of the artists I searched for. There was nothing but low bitrate files of chart junk.

Audiogalaxy has an incredible selection of songs available and the program makes it possible to specify a bitrate for each file. It's downloading rare Anthony Phillip's songs even as I type.

Let the chart-victims who couldn't care less about quality use Morpheus - the rest of us will stick to Audiogalaxy, thank you very much.

Marius
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-02, 03:17 PM   #16
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi Marius,

thanks for your post and warmly welcome to the forum!

I also have some friends using AG and like you they are very happy with the selection. The spyware issue aside, can you as an experienced user enlighten me (and others who are not involved in the AG scene) about what is going on in there? Has RIAA managed to block or filter the shared material in any way? Is there any social life on AG - can you chat with people you are downloading from etc.? Is leeching a problem? I would also like to ask about these 'groups' that a friend of mine mentioned - they sounded like some sort of self-organized user groups to me... if you can tell anything about them I would be grateful. Thanks again for your post, I'm looking forward to your further input!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-02, 03:37 PM   #17
JackSpratts

hi Marius & welcome to NU i'd like to hear more too!

- js.
Old 04-02-02, 04:24 PM   #18
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Has RIAA managed to block or filter the shared material in any way?
yes, many songs are blocked on AG - but you can use other programs to get most of them.

Quote:

Is there any social life on AG - can you chat with people you are downloading from etc.?
In theory you can send a message to a user - I've had mine turned off so long I haven't a clue if anyone ever answers.

Quote:

Is leeching a problem?
Sometimes - but it's pretty easy to see if anyone is sharing.
The best part of AG is exactly what Marius said - finding the rares and uniques that you can't find elsewhere - and being able to select what bitrate you what it at. It might take a day or two to find someone online with it, but AG does that part for you.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-02, 05:05 PM   #19
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Here's a new piece of information to throwing into this whole issue about mp3 bit rates. I've posted this before on the Morpheus forums but no one else confirmed that it also worked for them.

Anyhow, it seems that for me Morpheus is able to find higher bit rates without changing the registry. Buzz might remember me mentioning this, but all I do is click on audio-> "search more options"-> quality-> and then choose 320 for the bit rate. I've downloaded several songs without a problem. Is anyone else able to or is it still only me??
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-02, 05:10 PM   #20
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
audio-> "search more options"-> quality-> and then choose 320
*stunned*

I can honestly say I never even noticed that before.....

Going to try it now.
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote