P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 20-05-02, 08:43 PM   #21
goldie
yea, it's me.

Cry Nuisance bitching

No matter what I do or what I try, I can't seem to get Open nap hotlists in 3.1 to stick!!

All my buddies are "Offline".

Hotlists work fine in 2.6!!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-02, 08:41 PM   #22
HAL9000

Auto-Retry won't stick...
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-02, 10:42 PM   #23
thinker
Ex-Singular

You know it, HAL.

Two point six = tha shit!
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-02, 10:44 AM   #24
goldie
yea, it's me.

Say Wha? Anyone know if........

if the bandwidth controls actually work in 3.1?

After playing with settings a few times, I'm coming to the conclusion that they don't.

Btw, I'm getting EXCELLENT (even better than 2.6 if that sounds a bit odd sorry) speeds for dling.

It's awful wierd to see a multisource split up for queuing isn't it?

Source 1 says 3. Source 2 says 30, Source 3 says - Go to the movies, then grocery shop for a couple hours and maybe, just maybe I'll start dling by the time you come home

Old 23-05-02, 05:56 AM   #25
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Winnie 3.1 Hotlist issues unsolved!

Why is this happening? Is this only happening to me?

I'm using a Dial-up ISP.

Did several experiments yesterday and ALL entries were listed into the "Online" category of the hotlist and all entries worked normally (sending and receiving blinking letters icons notifying of incoming messages.)

After a disconnection and upon reconnection, all "online" entries were then placed into the "Offline" category even though the known user is "Online" (as proven by the search results).

In order to put a user back into the "Online" section of my hotlist I have to research for a file I know the user has in his shares and RE-add him to the hotlist. The username will then be seen as "Online", however, all previous entries for the user already existing in my hotlist remain in "Offline" status.

As far as using the Hotlist options (i.e., manually adding a username to the hotlist which worked fine in 2.6) when the user is known to be online, these entries WILL stick albeit only temporarily until a disconnection will place it back into "Offline" status.

Another curiosity is when PMing a user via search results AND the user has Auto-Response set to answer his incoming messages, the blinking letter icon DOES appear in the "Offline" section of the hotlist. However, when attempting to respond to the message, it always fails to connect to the "Offline" user in the hotlist.

Can't think of anything else I've noticed - if I do, I'll add it to this post in the hopes someone else is experiencing the same problem or can help solved it.

Remember, I'm only experiencing this problem with 3.1. 2.6 hotlisting works fine.

TIA

GR

Last edited by goldie : 24-05-02 at 02:59 PM.
Old 23-05-02, 06:35 AM   #26
goldie
yea, it's me.

Here I've just added a user name by searching for song title then right clicking into Add to Hotlist.

This same username, as shown by previous screen shot, is listed as "Offline" when it isn't.

Is this a problem associated with 3.1 or is it me? Am I seriously deranged or what
Old 23-05-02, 06:55 AM   #27
JackSpratts

3.1 is having hotlist display problems w/me, too. people i know are online display as off and i can't scan my own files either. a small thing maybe but it's good to know how they look to browsers, and critical if you even THINK you might be sharing things you shouldn't be.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-02, 02:12 PM   #28
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows wide screen version?

You know I had to go next door to read your post Gr...

I've realised why you are having problems with hotlist entries NOT sticking... you turn your system off, I don't!

When I needed to yesterday, I too found the hotlist entries missing from the online section, yet Ok in the offline, after a reboot... So it looks like another problem to resolve in 3.11
(No why does that sound so familiar? )

WINDOWS... of course!

Snark...

Edit... Cor wonder how many saw the UNEDITED version, thats better... I can put my eyeballs back in their sockets now...
Attached Images

Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-02, 04:21 PM   #29
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Geez, I just connected again to Winmx. Of course I'm like 2 zillion in queue for the movie I want.

But what bugs me, is that instantly, there were 8 uploads, and 9 in queue for MY large file size movies. Yet when I browsed THEIR files, only ONE of those people were sharing movies! All the rest were either sharing nothing (2 of them), or else sharing a handfull of songs is all.

No fucking wonder I can't ever get anything from there. Screw it.
Old 24-05-02, 05:28 PM   #30
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
But what bugs me, is that instantly, there were 8 uploads, and 9 in queue for MY large file size movies. Yet when I browsed THEIR files, only ONE of those people were sharing movies! All the rest were either sharing nothing (2 of them), or else sharing a handfull of songs is all.
You make a very valid point Dawn and the problem deserves further discussion.

My own experience is the same: movies and songs mix badly on the same network and on same conditions. A typical movie is 600 MB, a typical song 6 MB or less. This two magnitude difference results in totally different download and queuing dynamics for the two types of objects but still the traffic is channeled through a single queue/bandwidth control system. Queues are not that bad for music collectors as long as they move forward and the queuers get their files at the end. But for movie downloads it would be essential to have minimal queues so that multisourcing could be efficiently utilized.

As Dawn's comments demonstrate movie collectors are often not interested in mp3s so even a large shared mp3 library may not count as much sharing for them. The same applies also the other way round: several gigabytes worth of movies counts only as a few shared files, making a movie-sharing person falsely look like a non-sharer for those checking their uploaders with Whois info.

The paradox is that the software itself would fit quite well for both purposes. The problem arises mostly from the mixing of two differently oriented communities.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-02, 06:29 PM   #31
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

My own experience is the same: movies and songs mix badly on the same network and on same conditions. A typical movie is 600 MB, a typical song 6 MB or less. This two magnitude difference results in totally different download and queuing dynamics for the two types of objects but still the traffic is channeled through a single queue/bandwidth control system. Queues are not that bad for music collectors as long as they move forward and the queuers get their files at the end. But for movie downloads it would be essential to have minimal queues so that multisourcing could be efficiently utilized.

As Dawn's comments demonstrate movie collectors are often not interested in mp3s so even a large shared mp3 library may not count as much sharing for them. The same applies also the other way round: several gigabytes worth of movies counts only as a few shared files, making a movie-sharing person falsely look like a non-sharer for those checking their uploaders with Whois info.
Direct Connect seemed to try and solve this problem by providing somewhat of a hub specific file sharing environment. There are many hubs that require a certain amount of movies being share and vice versa for other files and hubs. Although, I don't think most users agree with Direct Connect's philosophy about sharing.

Incidently, does anyone else have their computer being rebooted by WinMx? It seems that 5-10 minutes after I start WinMx it automatically reboots my computer. On their website it mentions as one of the new features is that it can close and shutdown the computer when files are finished, but this is suppose to only work on Win 9x. I'm currently using XP home edition. The strange thing is that this does't happen on my XP laptop.

I was trying to find this shutdown feature in the settings menu but can't seem to find it. Anyone else have any ideas as to what's going on?
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-02, 06:33 PM   #32
Jader
iniquitous

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
Geez, I just connected again to Winmx. Of course I'm like 2 zillion in queue for the movie I want.

No fucking wonder I can't ever get anything from there. Screw it.
For the trouble it's worth to find a decent quality movie and download it, I'd rather just fork over a few bucks and rent it or buy the damn thing on DVD. Music is different since the file sizes are a fraction of the size and the quality is near original anyways.

You get what you pay for. (No, your monthly ISP bill doesn't count!)
Jader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-02, 06:45 PM   #33
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Dawn...

...my practical advice for you to avoid the frustrations of lopsided sharing on WinMX.

Go into 'trading mode' by setting your Max total uploads (Settings | File Transfers | Queuing) to 1. When you start getting people into queue take your time to check their libraries and start uploads manually only for those you judge to deserve them.

Set your max upload bandwidth (Settings | File Transfers | Bandwidth Throttle | Limit outgoing bandwidth) according to your cable upload bandwidth cap. If your uploads are capped at 128 kbit/s, 13.000 bytes/s is a good value in WinMX. For 256 kbit/s cap, set your throttle to 25.000 bytes/s. The idea is to leave some upload bandwidth for your own needs so that your own downloads do not suffer.

Do not limit your download bandwidth in WinMX.

See my further download tips in this thread.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote