P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-07-01, 03:25 AM   #1
eclectica

Default ICQ help

I just installed ICQ a while ago, and plan to use it mostly for file transfers. My number is 125130386. In my preferences, in events, I set my default incoming directory to be c:\mp3, which is a directory containing about 500 mp3s. I'm wondering about file uploads. Does this mean that people can see my files and upload at will from that directory as well when I'm online, or do I have to manually approve each file uploaded? I have it set to accept all incoming file requests automatically. Under security and privacy, I have my security set to low.

Those of you who have ICQ, check it out. I'll leave it on all day, unless my wife turns off the computer later.
Old 25-07-01, 04:13 PM   #2
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

icq is not peer to peer......u can send files back and forth but another user can't see what you have and just select is and download it...........
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 05:41 PM   #3
eclectica

Cool

Well thanks darkman. Anyway, I just did some tests with another ICQ user, so that cleared up a lot of questions.
Old 25-07-01, 05:45 PM   #4
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

I dumped ICQ a while back because it seemed to be interfering with other programs that were running, anything changed since March?
Old 25-07-01, 07:37 PM   #5
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

i have never had a problem using icq, and have been using it for about a year now, also you can d/l a handy lil proggy that will get rid of all the banner ads that aol has put into it........i like it.

and to eclectica testin is the best way to learn
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 07:44 PM   #6
Malk-a-mite

http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/spring2000/icq.html

http://www.fido.sakhalin.ru/timurk/prog/icqhole.html

http://blacksun.box.sk/icq.html
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 07:56 PM   #7
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Malk, thanks a million, not only was I about to download from one of the backdoor sites, but now I know where and when I picked up a couple of files I didn't remember downloading. Thank you again for the links.
Old 25-07-01, 09:48 PM   #8
eclectica

ICQ did some weird things to me today. I was playing an mp3 file, and it cut out the volume on it. It even did so after I muted ICQ. Then it gave me the simple menu, even though it showed that I had the complex menu displayed. Afterwards, it froze and I had to restart my computer.

The reason I got ICQ was for the purpose of file transfers with various people. So I tried to choose a common program. I don't use it for IMs, and usually do not IM people.
Old 25-07-01, 10:07 PM   #9
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Eclectica, you've got to remember that ICQ is now owned by AOL, so expect the same kind of crap you find there. Maybe it's part of their being forced to "open" up instant messaging to other services.
Old 25-07-01, 10:42 PM   #10
JackSpratts

just a note. i use msn im and aol im. they both work well for transfers. i recomend them for morpheus/p2p replacement hotlisting and private sharing, as your favorites pop up when on line.
with either client of course, be extremely cautious prior to d/ling files - make absolutely sure you know the person and THEY are really sending a file that's genuine.

- js.