P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-07-01, 10:21 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Whois on WinMX's WPNP

Has anyone of you noticed lately more failures in getting Whois info from your uploaders on WPNP?

I often check whether my uploaders are sharing anything with Whois and the feature used to work without problems for most users. Now more than half of the users never return any info... I wonder if this is connected to the growing popularity of WPNP and related network loading.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-01, 12:03 PM   #2
JackSpratts

Default Re: Whois on WinMX's WPNP

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Has anyone of you noticed lately more failures in getting Whois info from your uploaders on WPNP?

I often check whether my uploaders are sharing anything with Whois and the feature used to work without problems for most users. Now more than half of the users never return any info... I wonder if this is connected to the growing popularity of WPNP and related network loading.

- tg
hey tg. i just checked my wpnps (still can't load ANY opennaps 'thanks' to trippymx) and at the moment i'm seeing 3 out of 5.

- js.
Old 13-07-01, 06:40 PM   #3
Mazer

During the two weeks that I've used it I've never gotten any whois's from WPMP, up or downloaders.
Old 16-07-01, 08:43 AM   #4
nanook
just one of the gang...

not having any problems with the "whois" feature, tg, but still a little miffed about searches taking so long, sometimes, even while entering a popular name, say, like madonna to start out.

and i'll tell yah, noone, i mean, noone, likes to chat on there.

i think that might have to do with the fact that, if u do receive a message, it's a very tiny flashing envelope, at the very bottom of the screen, which i never noticed for a very long time.

and only when, someone actually responded to one of my messages.

oh, well, that's ok, just wanted to thank them for the tunes.

still like the prog.

i'm wondering where to get the new Morpheus version????????

is there a download within the program?

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-01, 09:09 AM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

What The?

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook
i'm wondering where to get the new Morpheus version????????
is there a download within the program?
Just use the CNet Downloads link in their homepage.

- tg
Old 16-07-01, 11:00 PM   #6
WizzOzz

Hi.

Ich needed 1 week to download a movie from winmx (ghost in the shell, my first one wohooo ) and I found following out:
The displayed queue in the search screen is in no way excact. I often found 4 free solts to end in a queue of 10 people.
If you search for a file and immediately whois the person and than download the file, the whois/download queue is normally exact.

If youre queued and whois shows information, 2 minutes later winmx cant connect to server to get the whois again. I think the reason is the fast node changing from winmx (on the zeropaid board a guy wrote more details).

After letting the comp running for 10 or more hours I had a sometimes 8 transfers in queue and whois didnt work on a single one. Winmx obviouly doesnt notice a node change and the downloads simply hang in nirvana.

Btw, Im currently betatesting a firewall and playing with the rules showed that winmx opens a tcp connection to the homesite (normal). The interresting thing is, that winmx checks the iexplorer and connects using the proxy settings it found there. This do a lot of programs, but this behaviour basically nullifies filtering the outgoing traffic.

WizzOzz
Old 24-07-01, 01:08 PM   #7
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

i really like the bandwidth control you have with winMX, and my searches are always fast getting as many as 2000 results at times......and haven't had a problem with the whois feature........
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 04:45 PM   #8
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkManX_19
i really like the bandwidth control you have with winMX, and my searches are always fast getting as many as 2000 results at times......and haven't had a problem with the whois feature........
hi darkman,

i was wonderin' if the bandwidth really had anything to do/help, us who r on dial-up. would it make any difference or is this for the people with dsl/cable connections?

and is there any way to help others who seem to only have, say one download and no uploads, who just can't seem to connect to me, even when i'm not up/downloading????

what could be causing these problems????

Old 25-07-01, 05:04 PM   #9
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook
i was wonderin' if the bandwidth really had anything to do/help, us who r on dial-up. would it make any difference or is this for the people with dsl/cable connections?

and is there any way to help others who seem to only have, say one download and no uploads, who just can't seem to connect to me, even when i'm not up/downloading????

what could be causing these problems????
Hi nanook, here are my experiences on these questions...

The bandwidth control is very usable also for dial-ups. First of all, it makes a lot of sense to limit your upload bandwidth below your theoretical maximum on a dial-up, thereby leaving room for the necessary upstream traffic generated by your own downloads. You can test to find an optimum point where your own download speeds are not yet badly affected by the ongoing uploads.

Dial-up or not, bandwidth control can also be used as a leech control tool. It is quite easy to favour sharers and discourage leechers by adjusting bandwidth priorities for single transfers in heavy uploading situations. You can also set bandwidth priorities in advance to any songs that you see queued on your end. Note that the general bandwidth control must be enabled to have the single transfer controls available.

As for connectivity problems, I would contribute a good part of them to firewalls (just an educated guess), especially in the WPNP environment. There are also known compatibilty issues between WinMX and audioGnome.

- tg
Old 25-07-01, 06:39 PM   #10
nanook
just one of the gang...

tg- i find that, the (i believe it's 250), default setting is pretty good for me. that is when i do have an upload, (i set it at 1), i get a pretty good time. i will put up about 5 or 6 and the one with the strongest, is the one i will go with, for the one song.

i just feel bad for the poor schmuck trying so hard at about 80 kbs, trying to get a song from me, only to fizz out.

thanks, once again, my fine-tuned-friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 25-07-01, 07:41 PM   #11
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

Hi nanook, here are my experiences on these questions...

The bandwidth control is very usable also for dial-ups. First of all, it makes a lot of sense to limit your upload bandwidth below your theoretical maximum on a dial-up, thereby leaving room for the necessary upstream traffic generated by your own downloads. You can test to find an optimum point where your own download speeds are not yet badly affected by the ongoing uploads.

Dial-up or not, bandwidth control can also be used as a leech control tool. It is quite easy to favour sharers and discourage leechers by adjusting bandwidth priorities for single transfers in heavy uploading situations. You can also set bandwidth priorities in advance to any songs that you see queued on your end. Note that the general bandwidth control must be enabled to have the single transfer controls available.

As for connectivity problems, I would contribute a good part of them to firewalls (just an educated guess), especially in the WPNP environment. There are also known compatibilty issues between WinMX and audioGnome.

- tg
said better than i could have said it......well done tg
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-01, 10:42 AM   #12
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the compliment Dark!

Quote:
Originally posted by WizzOzz
Hi.

Ich needed 1 week to download a movie from winmx (ghost in the shell, my first one wohooo ) and I found following out:
The displayed queue in the search screen is in no way excact. I often found 4 free solts to end in a queue of 10 people.
If you search for a file and immediately whois the person and than download the file, the whois/download queue is normally exact.

If youre queued and whois shows information, 2 minutes later winmx cant connect to server to get the whois again. I think the reason is the fast node changing from winmx (on the zeropaid board a guy wrote more details).

After letting the comp running for 10 or more hours I had a sometimes 8 transfers in queue and whois didnt work on a single one. Winmx obviouly doesnt notice a node change and the downloads simply hang in nirvana.

Btw, Im currently betatesting a firewall and playing with the rules showed that winmx opens a tcp connection to the homesite (normal). The interresting thing is, that winmx checks the iexplorer and connects using the proxy settings it found there. This do a lot of programs, but this behaviour basically nullifies filtering the outgoing traffic.

WizzOzz
Hi WizzOzz, thank you for your detailed and interesting information!

WPNP and Morpheus/Kazaa both seem to suffer from the same basic problem: they miss the core lovel support for permanent identities and a reliable presence / peer locating service based on them. This missing service level is causing all sorts of problems like unreliable whois requests, missing hotlists, inability to block hostile or leechy users reliably etc.

Well, it's still a young technology and it is only natural that we will have to wait a little before we can have all the delicacies we want... not to talk about those that we cannot yet even dream of...

- tg