P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-07-01, 08:05 PM   #1
WizzOzz

Default Several things

Hi.

Out of accident I discovered that the zeropaid forum is still running. They obviously changed to a new board.

Under the winmx one I found Jack fighting with something called TrippyMX. Whats this thing?

I also cut down my p2p spent time the last weeks. Are there any news about a new version out? Anything? The homesite doesnt seem to be updated since version 2.6.

Hows the new morph version developing? Breakthrough or as many customers as before?

Hope to get some news

WizzOzz
Old 26-07-01, 09:11 PM   #2
JackSpratts

Default Re: Several things

Quote:
Originally posted by WizzOzz
Hi.

Out of accident I discovered that the zeropaid forum is still running. They obviously changed to a new board.

Under the winmx one I found Jack fighting with something called TrippyMX. Whats this thing?

I also cut down my p2p spent time the last weeks. Are there any news about a new version out? Anything? The homesite doesnt seem to be updated since version 2.6.

Hows the new morph version developing? Breakthrough or as many customers as before?

Hope to get some news

WizzOzz
it's all over WizzOzz, you missed it. just another minor altercation on the p2p front.

a guy wrote an app that loads more opennap servers into winmx, a "lot more" according to him. so i tried it. big mistake. it deleted ALL my regular servers and wouldn't allow thier reinstalation, under any condition, including uninstall/reinstall of winmx and a windows me system restore. turns out it's happened to others also so i've been advising people to stay away from it and this has angered his buds. they think it's the best app in history and if it conflicts with your system it's because you f-cked it up. no other reason possible.

well i've been "openly exploring other reasons" and the cranky kids are getting apoplectic. but they're beginning to dimly see my point of view now so it's all cool. just stay the f-ck away from trickymx or load it only if you're planning a complete system rewrite in the very near future. ultimately i think i'm going to have to re-register with a different screen name to get beyond this.

meanwhile morph is plugging along, 500,000+ users and working well for most people but proving buggy for many. no updates in sight but it has begun to attract media attention with some refering to it as the new napster. time will tell.

i've been talking to a contract developer in europe, trying to delve deeper into what is a very complex and mysterious program from a complex and secretive company. four companies actually. i have learned one bit of irrelevency: fasttrack, the licensor, is being run not from the netherlands where everyone says it is but by two guys in sweden. is that important? not especially, but it is indicative of how opaque and dicey the info is that surrounds this app (and share progs in general). there are obvious reasons for it but still, it's kind of counter-productive ultimately. we're talking about file SHARING afterall...

- js.
Old 27-07-01, 08:28 AM   #3
nanook
just one of the gang...

Jack,

i'm wondering how u found about that tricky app.

is it listed on winmx?

or was it morpheus?

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-01, 11:09 AM   #4
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by nanook
Jack,

i'm wondering how u found about that tricky app.

is it listed on winmx?

or was it morpheus?
hi nanook. it was zeropaid but please, consider the installation carefully. if it blocks the servers, you will not be able to restore them. even your old ones.

- js

http://www.zeropaid.com/cgi-bin/ub/U...age=0&Session=
Old 27-07-01, 03:04 PM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

I have been wondering about this TrippyMX - what's the point of having a separate application providing you a server list, why not just to give the server list in the standard import format? The whole thing sounds somehow fishy to me.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-01, 05:13 PM   #6
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
I have been wondering about this TrippyMX - what's the point of having a separate application providing you a server list, why not just to give the server list in the standard import format? The whole thing sounds somehow fishy to me.

- tg
as well it should tg and hi. home made apps and all. it may integrate with winmx - i wouldn't know. some report success and more servers. i lost everything. course only swaptor was really ever open but still...
i would occasionally hook up with others.
Old 27-07-01, 07:42 PM   #7
WizzOzz

I downloaded this file and it seems to be a normal server.dat file. How this thing can block your inet connections is beyond my understanding, not to say I think its nearly impossible.

I installed it and will play around with it the next time.
There doesnt seem to be much more servers like after a fresh download of an napigator list, though.
One big difference seems to be that the creator of the list moved a lot of servers to the high capacity zone. Due to the fact that I never had more than 3 servers in this region (and this should be normal) its possible that winmx has a hidden bug which crashes the program if you have a lot of server in this zone. Only a guess.

Jack, did you tried to ping/trace the servers you cant connect after this trippy incident? If so, what was the result? You also didnt install something which can alter your connection like a firewall, spyware, download accelerators or such things?
No change with your isp, too I guess.

Do the server not connect or are you unable to log in?

WizzOzz

Btw, I cant remember last time I downloaded from a server
Old 27-07-01, 08:08 PM   #8
JackSpratts

Quote:
I downloaded this file and it seems to be a normal server.dat file. How this thing can block your inet connections is beyond my understanding, not to say I think its nearly impossible.

I installed it and will play around with it the next time.
There doesnt seem to be much more servers like after a fresh download of an napigator list, though.
One big difference seems to be that the creator of the list moved a lot of servers to the high capacity zone. Due to the fact that I never had more than 3 servers in this region (and this should be normal) its possible that winmx has a hidden bug which crashes the program if you have a lot of server in this zone. Only a guess.

Jack, did you tried to ping/trace the servers you cant connect after this trippy incident? If so, what was the result? You also didnt install something which can alter your connection like a firewall, spyware, download accelerators or such things?
No change with your isp, too I guess.

Do the server not connect or are you unable to log in?

WizzOzz

Btw, I cant remember last time I downloaded from a server
it's not a question of not being able to connect, the servers have vanished, all of them. nothing appears on the server page except wpnp. the servers are simply...gone. the two headers are there, "opennap high" and "opennap low", but nothing is below either of them. click "add" and the bars will jump but nothing appears. there were no programs added or changed prior to or immediately after the installation of tm. my isp remains unchanged.

at least wpnp is normal which does most of the winmx heavy lifting, so i'm cautious about changing anything now because if that goes down then winmx is down for good.

for whatever reasons it still has a huge edge over morpheus in returns. even in wpnp only mode. american iron...

- js.
Old 27-07-01, 09:29 PM   #9
WizzOzz

Hmm, after uninstalling winmx, did you clean the directory winmx was installed manually?
What happens if you manually add a server?

WizzOzz
Old 27-07-01, 09:49 PM   #10
JackSpratts

cleaned it out, even went into the registry but there's nothing in it that's obviously relevant.
tried manually adding but the new ones just sat there - wouldn't connect, however i don't know if i have the right addresses. if you'd like to post working ones i'll try putting them in.
Old 27-07-01, 09:55 PM   #11
WizzOzz

Italiennap/italia.dns2go.com 8888/41
Overexposure/b.ementor.com 8888/41
Searchynap/b.ementor.com 7777/41
R.I.P.renneth/gooy.hn.org 8888/41

Dont forget to change your loginname/password

WizzOzz
Old 27-07-01, 09:59 PM   #12
napho

Trippy is one of life's great mysteries. It wiped out JS but it's great for me.Before I connected to almost nothing now I can connect to 98%. If I was greedy I could be on 50 servers.
Old 27-07-01, 10:02 PM   #13
WizzOzz

Btw, how about importing the napigator list to winmx?
Should save you some typing.
Old 27-07-01, 11:26 PM   #14
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

hi nanook. it was zeropaid but please, consider the installation carefully. if it blocks the servers, you will not be able to restore them. even your old ones.

- js

http://www.zeropaid.com/cgi-bin/ub/U...age=0&Session=
no Jack, i wasn't interested in using this app, my winmx works just fine as it is.

i just wondered, because i had never heard of it, and sometimes wonder, that if i did, and proceeded to use it, i would have had the same troubles (maybe) not.

like tg said, i was just wonderin if it was within the winmx servers list already and was something i should be looking for to avoid.

by the sounds of it, it's a kind of hit and miss app, and each user takes their chances.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-01, 08:26 AM   #15
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
Trippy is one of life's great mysteries. It wiped out JS but it's great for me.Before I connected to almost nothing now I can connect to 98%. If I was greedy I could be on 50 servers.

damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn.

i hate hearing that.

a tonage of tunage just outside my grasp. damn damn damn damn damn ...
Old 29-07-01, 09:12 PM   #16
JackSpratts

wait wait. YES! i fixed it. i got the little bastard to load the @#$%ing servers again.

back

in

action.

what a fragile world.
Old 29-07-01, 09:18 PM   #17
napho

Nice going! Oh the indignities. First the evil Trippy and then that guy calling you Jack Sprouts. Stay strong. These outrages will only make you stronger.
Old 29-07-01, 09:35 PM   #18
JackSpratts

yeah it never ends LOL . and that guy must be from belgium...
Old 30-07-01, 08:50 AM   #19
WizzOzz

Congrats Jack!

What was wrong?

WizzOzz
Old 30-07-01, 11:41 PM   #20
JackSpratts

Quote:
Congrats Jack!

What was wrong?

WizzOzz
i don't know wizzozz. i'm still going over it. the initial cause was obvious and instantaneous: the loading of trippymx. but after 3 weeks of reinstalling, system restoring, hand loading server addresses, changing apps and changing names and passwords it'll be hard to ever figure out the one thing that undid whatever needed undoing.

i've now gone to the trippy page and d/l'd the new zip file AND installed it & used it briefly. it was kind of strange - in a good way - seeing all those servers sitting there on a page that had been blank for so long...

it's taught me one thing and that is the thread that carries this entire enterprise is desperately weak. one slight perturbation and it can all disolve. the system is vulnerable in the extreme, both to legal challenges and to technical hacks.

i had speculated a while ago on zeropaid about something i called a "viral update", an entirely theoretical design of mine to sabotage a p2p - a musing based more on future extrapolation than present day fact but still, i have a good idea what it would feel like now.

i'll say this tho, if anyone has a problem w/that app, pm me pronto! i'm the man!

- js.