P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 11-07-01, 08:59 PM   #1
WizzOzz

Default New Morpheus 1.3 is out

Hi guys,

dont know why nobody is left on the zeropaid boards, perhaps someone can enlighten me

I didnt see a post, but some days ago the new 1.3 version of morpheus came out.
Following changes were made:
- user upload limit
- filesize + searchable
- browse user

I didnt had problems installing the software, but obviously (looking at other boards) its as buggy as the last one.
The new features seem to work, but I couldnt browse the one user I tested it. Searches still dont work for me, but as long as winmx runs, who cares.

The reeeeaalllyyy bad thing about new morph is the limitation of the bitrate a user is able to search for. More than 128kbs/s isnt possible.
To get around this idiotic thing, youll have to search for limitbitrate in the registry and set it to 0 (dsl reports).
Ups, my comp is going down...
20 minutes later...
Ah, life would be too easy with working systems.

Anyway, greetings to Jack and Tankgirl. If Zeorpaid is dead youll see more posts from me in the future.
(BUH!)

WizzOzz
Old 11-07-01, 09:42 PM   #2
JackSpratts

hi wizzozz!
Old 11-07-01, 09:47 PM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Welcome to the board WizzOzz and thanks for your informative post.

I have also played a little with the latest Morpheus and while it is clearly better than the previous versions I have to say I like WinMX 2.6 much more. Browsing on Morpheus works only occasionally and the queueing controls are as primitive as they can get for both for up- and downloads. Morpheus is also still quite a resource hog even if the worst memory leaks have been fixed.

For a while it seemed that there was more material available on Morpheus than on WPNP but lately WinMX has been a clear winner on search results (see this interesting related thread on Zeropaid's Morpheus forum.)

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-01, 09:56 PM   #4
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Only problem with that thread was it was put out before the update. I agree that WinMx right now is the best out there, but remember Music City started by trying to FIX what Kanza had, over time I hope and believe Morpheus will be a better solution. It's much harder trying to update someone elses code, you have to find their bugs before you can fix your bugs
Old 12-07-01, 12:54 AM   #5
schmooky007
hi

welcome to the board wizzOoz
i downloaded morpheus yesterday. played around with it, didn't like it at all
deleted it
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-01, 07:36 AM   #6
napho

Audiogalaxy is becoming unbeatable for mp3's and with the Dopeflish program piggybacking off AG you don't have to visit their website which is a relief.http://www.dopeflish.com
Old 12-07-01, 02:49 PM   #7
georgep922

i think morpheus is very good,

my only gripe is that the software itself runs very slow, I get quick downloads, but when I want to jump around the program (like go from transfers to search) it would be as slow as the mac i am using at my job right now

The only other problems is i cant leave it on overnight(like i did with napster) cuz it will eventually crash

plus I have a LOT of movies, music, and software, so I get bombed with peeps downloading (which I like), but when 30+ people are trying to hit you it can get aggrivating and sometimes lead to that eventual crash

personally I prefer ftp, but it is getting on my nervers now that i realize all most of the ftp community is into movies and software, and no music
Old 29-07-01, 09:33 PM   #8
assorted
WAH!

yayaya a secret to WinMX

Is there some secret to WinMX I'm not aware of? Many people on this board seem to favor it strongly...

I downloaded WinMX last night. It came with NO opennap servers. I tried to update, no servers came back. I checked a thread previous to this one about a guy with a similar problem to mine... but his problem was firewall related. I'm connected to their one server fine, it seems.

Yes, I got search results from the WinMX server for Madonna, Metallica, etc. But I got absolutely nothing of anything less popular.

Is this because I'm not aware of some "trick" to make WinMX actually work? So far I get whatever I want from a combination of AudioGalaxy (dopeflish is great), Morpheus, and Gnucleus. But I'm curious as to why it's being reccomended. Did I just sign on on a bad night? Or is it all about having access do a server list that does not come with WinMX?

Just curious...
Old 29-07-01, 09:55 PM   #9
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

I wonder if Winmx has been getting heat about the opennap servers? I know the servers are. Maybe they just don't but the server list on to keep out of trouble.
Old 30-07-01, 05:57 AM   #10
Yeah-I-Did-It

yes I have noticed that in my last few attempts to update the servers I get nothing back for results. I thought WinmX was outside the U.S. though or are they in a country where the strong arm of the RIAA can reach? And if this is so how long will it be before Napigator affects Audiognome and others.

As for the searches not producing results WinmX is a hit or miss for less popular stuff. I've tied for some songs one day with no results and the next day I get 30 plus for that song. But in general I get much better results from WinmX than I do opennap.
Old 30-07-01, 04:12 PM   #11
WizzOzz

Default Re: a secret to WinMX

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted
I downloaded WinMX last night. It came with NO opennap servers. I tried to update, no servers came back. *snip*

Is this because I'm not aware of some "trick" to make WinMX actually work *snip*
You start winmx. Set the connection speed to high-speed cable or better or youre in passive mode (if you have a 56 k modem, DONT do it).
Set mp3 every bitrate and search for madonna, beatles something which will give you a large number of hits.
Im searching normally for madonna which gives me 5000++ hits. If you get a lot fewer, youll have a connection problem.
In this way youll get a large numbers of ips and distribute your ip in the p2p net -> better search results.

I read somewhere (sorry, forgot the source) that winmx doesnt support the opennap servers anymore. This makes sense if I look at the size and the constant in/outs of the server.
Too fill this gap use the lists provided by:
http://www.trippynet.f2s.com/
http://www.napigator.com/

If you get winmx running this way, you should get more search hits as with morph. (The problem are the queues...)

WizzOzz
Old 30-07-01, 04:43 PM   #12
Trippynet

Well! My views on the matter are plain really.

For MP3s, I think nothing beats AudioGalaxy with the Dopeflish client as it's queueing is great and it uses very little resources.

I tried Morpheus 1.3 and I am very dissapointed. When it manages to consume all my resources and crash my PC frequently (and I have a K6/2 500, 256MB of RAM and a 1GB swapfile), I lose a lot of respect for a program. It also still doesn't save it's window positions which is incredibly frustrating and shouldn't really be all that difficult to fix. I use Morpheus occasionally for queueing up videos when I am not going to be using my PC, but not any other times. As for MP3s, it's terrible resource hogging and lack of support for MP3s greater than 128K (My MP3 collection is all 192K) makes this program almost back of the queue for MP3s as far as I'm concerned.

As for WinMX, it's fast, powerful, easy to use etc. It's only problem is that it doesn't have as many MP3s on it as AG or as many videos as Morpheus. Hopefully, WinMX 3 will address some of the queueing problems with it meaning that queueing lots of stuff and leaving it for hours may be possible at last. I hope they don't remove OpenNap support alltogether though, because if they did, that would kind of put the boot squarely into my site so to speak

It's cetainly an interesting one. One possability, is that WinMX could implement Gnuttela support. The problem with this, is that it's a similar, but inferior technology to WPNP so I doubt this will happen actually.

Still! Time will tell.

Dave!!
Old 30-07-01, 06:11 PM   #13
assorted
WAH!

thanks for the tips.

WinMX is working fine for me... it's just I'm getting a very limited amount of results for the bands I actually LIKE. So, it's not really a technical problem it seems (yes, I get 5,000 returns plus for Metallica).

On to my next question...

As a little "test" for how the different clients respond, I've tried to make Morpheus give more then 100 results. I went into the registry and changed the value for Max Results to 999. This, unfortunately, has only upped my results to around 240.

While this is better then 100, it's still not 999. Any clues as to why? I'm using Morpheus 1.3 (latest, downloaded yesterday from CNET).
Old 30-07-01, 06:30 PM   #14
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
As a little "test" for how the different clients respond, I've tried to make Morpheus give more then 100 results. I went into the registry and changed the value for Max Results to 999. This, unfortunately, has only upped my results to around 240.
I and others have done similar testing and the bad search results are in no relation to the advertised huge user base - 557.000 users sharing 300 TB at the moment! It seems that the Morpheus/Kazaa supernodes are very weakly connected to each other. They can provide the statistics for the total user count and the sum amount of stuff they share but when it comes to actual searching, the search requests get seldom if ever passed between supernodes or at least very few results are returned from such searches. It is almost like having 500 unlinked small OpenNap servers each serving 1000 clients - therefore the modest search results.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-01, 07:51 PM   #15
assorted
WAH!

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

I and others have done similar testing and the bad search results are in no relation to the advertised huge user base -
Apologies for the miscommunication...

After changing my registry entry to 999 for MaxResults, I am CONSISTENTLY getting 240 resutls back. (i.e: Madonna: 240, Metallica: 240).

I don't think this is a problem with the network as the number is so consistently similar for different searches of popular acts. It seems that the registry "fix" I attempted just didn't work; and has for some reason topped out at 240.

Incidentally, upon closing an reboot, I am back down to 100-120 results, despite the fact that the registry entry still says 999.
Old 30-07-01, 08:17 PM   #16
greedy_lars
everything you do

still using 1.2, if its not broke, dont fix it. and man is it not broke, like 5 movies in the last couple days, ahhhhh. morpheus is very nice indeed....
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-01, 08:25 PM   #17
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:

Apologies for the miscommunication...

After changing my registry entry to 999 for MaxResults, I am CONSISTENTLY getting 240 resutls back. (i.e: Madonna: 240, Metallica: 240).

I don't think this is a problem with the network as the number is so consistently similar for different searches of popular acts. It seems that the registry "fix" I attempted just didn't work; and has for some reason topped out at 240.

Incidentally, upon closing an reboot, I am back down to 100-120 results, despite the fact that the registry entry still says 999.

AZ, have you tried searchig the registry for kazaa?

Seems a lot of kazaa stuff is really controling Morpheus 1.3 than 1.2

Looks like the update was really supllied by Kazaa so there's a lot more kazaa entries in the registry.