P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-07-01, 08:15 AM   #1
zombywoof

Default WinMx Question

Why is it when I connect using winmx 2.6, I never get any search results? When I open it up, I get the connections to the wpnp, but anytime I search, I never get any results. Also, none of the opennap servers connect after an update. Am I missing a step or a procedure after I open up winmx.

Note: If I use audiognome, I connect fine to the pnp and the available opennap servers.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 08:39 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi Oscar!

Don't you get results even for very easy searches (Madonna etc.)?

One thing you could try is to change the port that WinMX is using. Especially if you have the same port assigned in aG and WinMX you may run into weird problems. I have noticed that aG does not release the port it has used after you close the program - if you restart aG without rebooting you get a 'Set port failure' error and you have to change the port manually to get aG working properly.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 09:01 AM   #3
zombywoof

Thats right TG, I get no results, no matter what I search for. As for that error message for set port failure in audiognome, I have never come across that message. Is there a specific port that you recommend trying ? I will try it later on this evening when I get the time. I'll post and let you know if this worked... thanks TG.
Old 25-07-01, 09:14 AM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar
Is there a specific port that you recommend trying?
You can use basically anything from the upper range. There is always a minor chance of conflict with some other software but I myself have used anything between 6500-6699 without problems.

You can also try switching on the "Unable to accept incoming connections..." option in Settings | Connection Settings | Network Settings dialog if you have a firewall. This corresponds to port = 0 setting in Napster and aG. If searches work with that option set, you may need to configure your firewall to be able to use the less restricted operation mode (where port number matters).

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-01, 09:51 AM   #5
zombywoof

Thanks TG, I do run 2 firewalls simultaneously so I will check those settings as well. I'll probably also try running winmx without the firewalls to see if anything changes.
Old 25-07-01, 03:04 PM   #6
Yeah-I-Did-It

I do believe WinMx default ports are 5100 TCP and 5101 UDP. This depends on the connection type you choose when you install. Or you can change them as TankGirl said. I have found that I have to have both ports mapped in my firewall for best results. I suggest port 0 as a last resort. Winmx has very poor transfer reliability and you will get a ton of timeouts and less search results on port 0.
Also pay attention to which server you are connecting to. the names are similar but not the same if it is the same one that give you trouble try to delete it. I have had to do this before to get a decent connection. You can get it back with an update.
Old 25-07-01, 06:50 PM   #7
zombywoof

TG and Y-I-D-I, I found the problem. It was ZoneAlarm that was blocking my searches. Set the listening port in the 6500 range and now the searches are working like a charm with the firewall up.. Thanks for your help.