P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-01-05, 06:21 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Homemade Commercial

Homerun

One of the really fine pleasures to be had these days is in the technical ease with which artists can now commit their ideas to form, whether music or movies, and share them with the world. That it changes everything in the creator-corporation equation and obviates 100 years of Intellectual Policy laws is not in dispute, outside of The Hague and Washington that is. It's wonderful. One thing that's caught me by surprise is the extent people will go to express themselves, and the work and passion they’ll apply, even if the object of their affections is a company or product. Love takes many forms, and I try not to judge but to enjoy.

Here’s a paean to a product. The artist is George Masters and the goods are Apple iPods. It’s a homemade commercial, but it’s perfectly done and as good - or better - than what's on TV. So the next time you’re cornered by IP attorneys telling you we have to stop the commercial-blocking feature of DVR’s to save free TV, tell ‘em it’s not necessary; if the products are good enough to deserve commercials we’ll make our own thanks, and show them this.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-05, 09:40 PM   #2
chefws

That's awesome. That person is really talented, I wouldn't be suprised to see it bought. I also wouldn't be suprised to see Apple take legal action for using their trademark.
Thanks for the link, JS
Old 29-01-05, 09:53 PM   #3
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefws
That's awesome. That person is really talented, I wouldn't be suprised to see it bought. I also wouldn't be suprised to see Apple take legal action for using their trademark.
Thanks for the link, JS
it is awesome, isn't it? yw chefws, and apple, total control freaks, are taking a wait and see approach on this one. i can see why. first of all, it's a just plain good commercial, giving the company positive - and free - global exposure. secondly, sending out a take down notice would get them a lot of bad press on the blogs and prove counterproductive with the very people who they depend on to spread the pro-apple gospell. that's not to say they wouldn’t take action under different circumstances. a story in the nyt's titled "Fake Commercial Spots Spread Quickly on the Internet" points out these new spots are making marketers jittery (this weeks wir if you don't want to sign in). there's a new commercial for volkswagon featuring a suicide bomber. wrapped with bombs, he hops in his polo, parks in front of a cafe and POOF! nothing happens: the explosion's contained because the car's so "tough" (the bomber certainly has a sober moment, but that's the "hilarious" angle, har har).

so what's to stop a company from making a commercial that's libelous to a competitor's product, and hiding behind an anonymous p2p guerilla marketing campaign? not much atm. companies as invisible trolls so to speak. while a change is long overdue in the whole symbiosis between capital, marketers and media conglomerates and i won't be shedding any tears if someone makes commercials excoriating mcdonalds, toyota or the nra, or a million other soulless parasites - as a matter of fact i'd welcome them - the thought of such viral campaigns is sure making big business nervous...but hey, that alone's a positive development.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote