P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 28-06-02, 06:12 PM   #1
Spaceboy

Default BearShare Blocks other Gnutella Clients

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/article.../06272002g.php
Spaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-02, 06:56 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

<BIG SIGH> Vinnie, Vinnie, Vinnee.......
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-02, 09:00 PM   #3
Philanthropy

This is absolute nonsense, and the article you cite is a bunch of bollocks. Bearshare 4.0 allows you the OPTION to block other clients other than bearshare for security purposes, as Bearshare has a revolutionary new feature which allows it to block hostiles such as the RIAA or MPAA server farms. This is exactly what Gnutella needs, security. Unless of course you like your Broadband ISP receiving a cease and desist letter. This is the greatest thing to ever happen to Gnutella, and people are criticizing him for it. Vinnie has stressed on a number of occassions that he simply wants his users secure, and I applaud him for that. And while I appreciate the romantic idealism of some of the GDF developers who criticize Vinnie for supposedly splintering the network, and in an ideal world there would be no need for these security features, but as long as the RIAA and MPAA exist, these features must exist as well, regrettably, if file-sharing is going to continue.
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.-John 15:12

The proletariot have nothing to lose but their chains. Workers of the world, Unite! -Karl Marx
Philanthropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-02, 09:24 PM   #4
JackSpratts

so ends the bearshare chapter of gnutella. what a long and boring soap opera. is it finally over? really? thanks!

if that's what he's doing, i have no problem with vinnie spinning off his network. i wish he'd done it sooner. he's been a pain in the ass for gnutella for so long maybe it's better if he simply leaves and takes his toy with him while we see which strategy works best. i'm happier with true, open gnutella applications working together and getting stronger. if bearshare risks becoming another orphaned app, playing with itself by itself it has the option. i know gnutella will put this episode behind it quickly. still, i wish vinnie luck, and i wish the gnutella network the continued success it deserves.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-02, 10:29 PM   #5
Philanthropy

Respectfully Jack, it seems that you have ignored everything that I have written in my previous post. I think if you take the things I mentioned under consideration, you would view these changes in a much more positive light.

The proletariot have nothing to lose but their chains. Workers of the world, Unite! -Karl Marx
Old 28-06-02, 11:02 PM   #6
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by Philanthropy
Respectfully Jack, it seems that you have ignored everything that I have written in my previous post. I think if you take the things I mentioned under consideration, you would view these changes in a much more positive light.
we'll see.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-02, 12:24 AM   #7
Philanthropy

After all, what good is a file-sharing service if all the sharers have had their ISPs turned off.
In a world with the likes of the RIAA and MPAA, security comes at the expense of almost anything else.

Old 29-06-02, 04:35 AM   #8
Sven the Barkeep
Bartender of Headbanger's Biker Pub

Njah Njah

Yer all a boncha jackasses! File sharing is dead, I tells ya. Ever since that Shawn FanBelt idiot sold 'is soul to wall street!

They controll it all now I tells ya! Yer just foolin' yer Damn selfs that ther's anythin' ta fight fer. The corps hav it now... it's over!
Old 29-06-02, 05:40 AM   #9
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

Quote:
Originally posted by Philanthropy
Actually Jack said it as good as you can say it Vinnie has always tried to make things happen his way and not the gnutella way Block the RIAA and whatever make it secure fine yeah thats great but Vinnie is still the biggest prick programming a client out there today.
As stated before he should start his own network or play by the rules plain and simple.
Old 30-06-02, 10:23 PM   #10
assorted
WAH!

Angry

Philanthropy you sound like a spinning politician. It's blocking other clients no matter what; and that's a real problem for gnutella. I've never actively encouraged people to not use BearShare before; but now seems the time to start.