P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 26-06-08, 04:33 PM   #1
albed
flippin 'em off

Default Obama's not big on constitutional rights

The Supreme Court today ruled americans have a constitutional right to own guns.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080626/...FZXPbCGsKs0NUE
Quote:
John McCain welcomed a Supreme Court decision invalidating a District of Columbia handgun ban. Barack Obama sought to straddle the subject by saying he favors an individual's right to bear firearms as well as a government's right to regulate them.
A little odd that Obama can "favor" a constitutional right and the governments "right" to violate it. But I guess to liberals that just makes him "cool", not hypocritical.
Old 27-06-08, 01:01 AM   #2
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

The government does have the right to regulate guns. That is why those with a criminal history and the mentally ill can't have guns. Are you trying to say that isn't 'regulating guns', or are you against that regulation? Owning a gun and/or supporting the publics right to own guns isn't 'cool' and supporting regulations against them being in the hands of gang bangers and crazy people isn't 'hypocritical'.

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-08, 03:20 AM   #3
albed
flippin 'em off

Obama's history on the issue is clear, though the will to openly state his opinion is weak.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25397028/
Quote:
Obama has voted to leave gun-makers and dealers open to lawsuits. He also took largely liberal positions on gun laws while in the Illinois Legislature, including backing a ban on all forms of semiautomatic weapons and tighter state restrictions generally on firearms.
Quote:
The Democrat's campaign said a spokesman made an "inartful" statement when he said in November that Obama believed the D.C. law was constitutional. But Obama himself did not correct a debate moderator who repeated the position in February.

"You said in Idaho recently, I'm quoting here, 'I have no intention of taking away folks' guns.' But you support the D.C. handgun ban and you've said that it's constitutional," said the moderator, Leon Harris of Washington television station WJLA. Obama nodded as Harris spoke and said: "Right, right."
Quote:
In other instances, Obama refused to articulate a position when asked whether he thought the D.C. ban was constitutional.

The campaign would not answer directly Thursday when asked whether the candidate agreed with the court that the D.C. ban was unconstitutional, simply pointing back to his statement.
Pretty obvious he doesn't support the constitutional right to own guns but is afraid to say so.
Old 27-06-08, 04:57 AM   #4
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

He's been working in the South side of Chicago for the last 10+ years dude. He supports the rights of citizens to own guns, but not the right of citizens who shoot other citizens; which he has seen a lot of.

Is that not the same stance you yourself hold?

Š

Old 27-06-08, 04:48 PM   #5
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Šiego View Post
He's been working in the South side of Chicago for the last 10+ years dude. He supports the rights of citizens to own guns, but not the right of citizens who shoot other citizens; which he has seen a lot of.

Is that not the same stance you yourself hold?
Hmmm, Obama's never mentioned all the shootings he's seen. How many were there?

You're not lying again, are you? I'm smelling shit for some reason.
Old 28-06-08, 02:32 AM   #6
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Well I dunno m8, I guess I could be. Why don't you stroll down the streets of South Chicago some night and find out for yourself. Wear your sheet.

Š

Old 28-06-08, 04:05 AM   #7
malvachat
My eyes are now open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Šiego View Post
Well I dunno m8, I guess I could be. Why don't you stroll down the streets of South Chicago some night and find out for yourself. Wear your sheet.

Š
And don't forget your medal??