P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 30-04-06, 01:52 PM   #1
Hegemonic

That's pretty laughable considering Brazil is oil free as everything runs on ethenol. And they did it in 20 years, so Iceland taking 45 years is actually pretty lame.
Old 30-04-06, 02:41 PM   #2
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

It may be laughable but, atleast, they are doing it. Even if it takes them time, they will become a oil free economy and we won't hear them bitch about the high prices of gaz anymore now or will they witness the ever rising cost of food to compensate for the high gaz prices. Sweden plans to do it in less than 15 years

Quote:
Sweden plans to be world's first oil-free economy
Posted: 10 Feb 2006

In a response to climate change and the dangers of rising fuel prices, Sweden is to take the biggest energy step of any advanced western economy by trying to wean itself off oil completely within 15 years. And it plans to do so without building a new generation of nuclear power stations, reports John Vidal in The Guardian.
FROM

What's interesting in this article is that they even plan to kick out Nuclear Energy in the process. Why use enriched uranium and bury the very toxic radio active byproduct it produce when a rod is depleated when one can use clean, safe Hydrogen to do the same job?

So far, the biggest problem is to find a way to extract the hydrogen out of the water at a low cost...I'm sure that if the greatest minds would work on it, a solution could be found quickly, that is if they truly want to kick off their dependency on oil. If Hydrogen can power up a bus or a truck, it can surely power up SUV's.
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-06, 11:08 PM   #3
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Sweden is to take the biggest energy step of any advanced western economy by trying to wean itself off oil
Wow, not even a plan but planning a plan. What a huge step. They're real go-getters those swedes.

No doubt they're also planning a plan to explain why they can't produce a viable plan without fossil fuel or nuclear power.

My bet is they soon modify their first planned plan to 50% fossil and nuclear.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 10:58 AM   #4
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver

What's interesting in this article is that they even plan to kick out Nuclear Energy in the process. Why use enriched uranium and bury the very toxic radio active byproduct it produce when a rod is depleated when one can use clean, safe Hydrogen to do the same job?

Maybe the small European countries are, but not the big players like China, India and Russia.

According to market watchers China’s demand for Uranium will be greater their demand for oil in the coming years.

quote---

China’s target is to more than quintuple its nuclear capacity — by 36,000 megawatts — by 2020. And still, nuclear power would only cover 4% of China’s needs!

Result: China’s annual uranium needs will jump from 3 million pounds per year now ... to 10 million pounds per year by 2010 ... then 18 million pounds per year by 2020.
---

Which is why the price of uranium jumped 76% in 2005. Australia has most of the uranium in the world, something like 30% of it while Canada has 15% of the world supply. The regulatory climate is now changing rapidly in Australia---China, India and Russia - Miners and mining companies are fanning out all over the globe to every backwater and dirt-patch with a whiff of uranium on it. It may be the next big rush.

A link--

A New Wave of Exploding Prices! (by Weiss, Brodrick and Edelson)

http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/press...=229&cat_id=6&
Old 11-05-06, 09:53 AM   #5
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemonic
That's pretty laughable considering Brazil is oil free as everything runs on ethenol. And they did it in 20 years, so Iceland taking 45 years is actually pretty lame.
I thought all that Brazil-Ethanol propaganda sounded overblown. I just heard Brazil recently lowered the mandated percentage of ethanol in gasohol from 25% to 20%. It produces most of the oil it needs but still imports some. It's certainly not "oil free" by a long shot.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/aberd...rdeennews_news

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=6817
Quote:
ethanol now accounts for as much as 20% of Brazil's transport fuel market

Last edited by albed : 11-05-06 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-05-06, 11:27 AM   #6
Hegemonic

Heh, I got that info from a Brazilian at work, I figured he knew what he was talking about.
Old 11-05-06, 11:58 AM   #7
albed
flippin 'em off

He's probably been watching the same biased, manipulative U.S. media that I've seen lauding Brazil all the time while being vague and selective on hard facts.

But I doubt Brazil's media would be any more honest with its citizens.
Old 21-09-06, 11:37 AM   #8
albed
flippin 'em off

Wow, $2.27/gal in my area.

Caught something on the news about petroleum reserve capacity being near full and prices could crash.

In other news:

PISSER STOPS WHINING ABOUT GAS PRICES
-might even possibly vote republican-
Old 25-09-06, 10:38 AM   #9
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

wow, is right. and what a coincidence the elections are only a month away.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-06, 02:52 PM   #10
JackSpratts

yipeee! today gas only costs 60% more than when bush took office!

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-06, 11:19 PM   #11
pisser
Guv

Evil Black Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
Wow, $2.27/gal in my area.

Caught something on the news about petroleum reserve capacity being near full and prices could crash.

In other news:

PISSER STOPS WHINING ABOUT GAS PRICES
-might even possibly vote republican-
It is still $2.65 a gallon here, still too much, Once it gets down to $2.00 I will stop calling you a half developed ball sack!

How's that for the the news, girly man?
pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-06, 11:29 AM   #12
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

gas down to $1.80 in missuruh

http://www.missourigasprices.com/
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote