View Single Post
Old 17-01-07, 11:49 AM   #53
Sinner
--------------------

There is one country out there in the world right now which still flies F-14 Tomcats, they bought them from the USA back in the 70’s. I am talking about Iran. The pentagon retired the American fleet and now they have a warehouse full of parts for these planes. Now I am no expert but would it not make sense to destroy all these parts? I would think so, unfortunately the pentagon disagrees and is having these parts transferred to an agency, which holds public surplus auctions, and these parts will be up for sale. I wonder, who on earth would want to buy them. Is it Joe Blow in Iowa who is building his own Tomcat to fly around the neighborhood or is it Iran with the whole Axis of Evil thing.

Quote:
A Defense Department official, Fred Baillie, said his agency followed procedures.

"The fact that those individuals chose to violate the law and the fact that the customs people caught them really indicates that the process is working," said Baillie, the Defense Logistics Agency's executive director of distribution. "Customs is supposed to check all exports to make sure that all the appropriate certifications and licenses had been granted."

The Pentagon recently retired its Tomcats and is shipping tens of thousands of spare parts to its surplus office — the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service — where they could be sold in public auctions. Iran is the only other country flying F-14s.
Feel better? I don’t.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070116/...surplus_stings