View Single Post
Old 19-02-02, 10:58 PM   #7
Marius

Audiogalaxy.com

frank zappa

271 comments all songs

All Songs 1-25 of 10229 songs

There's not many Zappa songs you won't find at Audiogalaxy, and almost none of them are blocked.

It's strange, but for all the buzz of late Napster, nothing has matched Audiogalaxy for me. I mean in terms of finding rare material.

With Napster there was admittedly the novelty of being able to download tunes from 20 years ago that you never expected to hear again, ever. But where was Martin Newell on Napster? Where was Anthony Phillips? Where, come to that, was Tom Rapp, Duncan Browne and the Amazing Blondel? I never found any of there stuff on Napster, but I've downloaded 100s of their songs from Audiogalaxy.

For me, the Golden Age was just after the demise of Napster and just before Audiogalaxy began "filtering" songs *(although almost no obscure artists are filtered). Suddenly, everything I wanted but couldn't find on Napster was available. This was pure bliss. The rarest, most desirable songs were there for the taking.

I'll admit there was less of the cameraderie, less of the pioneer spirit - less to, of the excitement of sailing in uncharted waters. But for me, at least, the music is the important thing. The music will still be there, burned to hundreds of precious CDs, when Napster, Audiogalaxy, Morpeus, Limewire etc., are no more than distant memories.

And only three years ago, I'd thought most of that music was lost forever.

Yesterday I found a website with MP3s of the theme tunes of English children's programs I listened to growing up. Playing one, I was suddenly six years old again, much to my amazement.

What an amazing thing the internet is!

Marius
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote