View Single Post
Old 24-05-02, 06:29 PM   #31
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

My own experience is the same: movies and songs mix badly on the same network and on same conditions. A typical movie is 600 MB, a typical song 6 MB or less. This two magnitude difference results in totally different download and queuing dynamics for the two types of objects but still the traffic is channeled through a single queue/bandwidth control system. Queues are not that bad for music collectors as long as they move forward and the queuers get their files at the end. But for movie downloads it would be essential to have minimal queues so that multisourcing could be efficiently utilized.

As Dawn's comments demonstrate movie collectors are often not interested in mp3s so even a large shared mp3 library may not count as much sharing for them. The same applies also the other way round: several gigabytes worth of movies counts only as a few shared files, making a movie-sharing person falsely look like a non-sharer for those checking their uploaders with Whois info.
Direct Connect seemed to try and solve this problem by providing somewhat of a hub specific file sharing environment. There are many hubs that require a certain amount of movies being share and vice versa for other files and hubs. Although, I don't think most users agree with Direct Connect's philosophy about sharing.

Incidently, does anyone else have their computer being rebooted by WinMx? It seems that 5-10 minutes after I start WinMx it automatically reboots my computer. On their website it mentions as one of the new features is that it can close and shutdown the computer when files are finished, but this is suppose to only work on Win 9x. I'm currently using XP home edition. The strange thing is that this does't happen on my XP laptop.

I was trying to find this shutdown feature in the settings menu but can't seem to find it. Anyone else have any ideas as to what's going on?
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote