View Single Post
Old 12-04-01, 11:58 AM   #43
thinker

Well, I guess I'll throw up something I meant to several days ago (in many parts).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank Zappa was really one Motherf*ucker of Invention. He kicked major ass.

Lemme see...what has been done that is really good...(instrumental works included - but not classical - I don't have the time)

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five - this was the signature piece in the "cool" era of jazz (the era which is generally viewed as owed to Miles Davis). It's simultaneously mellow and powerful with many textures. It helped Dave Brubeck grace the cover of Time, though Brubeck lamented the fact that he got on the cover before Duke Ellington, who delivered a copy to him at his hotel room the morning it was published.

David Bowie - Space Oddity - released at around the peak of space exploration's prominence in the eyes and hearts of the world, "Space Oddity" highlighted the humanity of the astronauts, as well as the industry- and media-posed questions during a mission. Of course, also very good musically.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------