Thread: Features I need
View Single Post
Old 29-05-02, 02:32 AM   #12
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

I don't have a personal problem with modem users. Although, no one can disagree with me in saying that the p2p networks would be faster if everyone had broadband, but this isn't the case for many reasons. I respect those reasons and choices or no choices to stay with 56k. This being the case I try to work and adapt to the variety of connections speeds found on p2p programs.

When a I have a rare file that I'm trying to spread throughout the network, I do try to give it first only to sharing broadband users in an attempt to try and get more sources available for everyone. It would take days to spread a file if I have a 56k user trys to download from me. To you give you an example, in one day I can upload a movie to 10 broadband users which theoretically will create 10 new sources to download from in just one day. When I get a 56k user trying to download from me, we are talking about days to provide a new source to the network.

So Scyth that's why I choose to limit my upload slots to just 2. If I split my uploads any more then that they become 56k speeds which causes that slow distribution problem. So what I do is try to work around this issue. If I'm one of the few users sharing a popular file I set my upload to 1 and give it out as quickly as I can to all sharing broadband users. Basically, I try to saturate the network with new sources so that everyone can benefit. Once the network has a decent amount of sources then I have no problems with 56k users downloading from me.

If I have a rare but unpopular file then I'll just let anyone who wants it to take it because they might be the only other person willing to share the file.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that like the real world the p2p community is made up of a variety of different users. But instead of different ethnic races and social classes we have differences in connection speeds. And like the real world we all need to work and adapt to these differences in order to mantain peace because I don't see this changing any time soon. I'm not saying that I have the answers or what I have described above is the best solution but there needs to be a movement in thinking of the p2p network as more of a whole rather then a group of individuals.

What assorted has brought up does have merit to it in that it is an attempt to make the network more efficient, which helps everyone....56k, broadband, and I hate to say it also leeches. What I would like to see happening is to be able to dedicate 1 upload slot for 56k users and 1 for broadband users and then adjust things from there. The problem is that since these p2p programs are basically free there isn't a huge desire for the companies to fix or come up with solutions to our problems, which in turn causes a lot of blame being placed on our fellow users. Just look at the leech issue. It's a huge debate in almost every p2p program you go to and yet there has been very little effort by p2p program makers in coming up with a fair solution.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I'm hoping that there will be a huge switch over and developement in open sourced programs....it maybe our only hope for fair and reasonable solutions.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote