View Single Post
Old 25-09-06, 03:05 PM   #10
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_A_Stone
The book doesn't actually exist but was alluded to in the famous cautionary tale by Orwell, Sinner. The chapters of the book (War is Peace, etc.) were taken from the party slogans--which look less like fictions and more like prophecy with every passing day that I see people taking the utterances of the current US administration seriously.

I know the book doesn't exist and O'Brien is a character in the book..(1984 War is Peace). Where it says Emmanuel Goldstein wrote The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism but by the end you come to find out he was not the true author and it seems O'Brien was. I will have to find a quote..

Quote:
O'Brien tells him the simple and brutal truth: "The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power... Power is not a means, it is an end... The object of power is power." Since O'Brien has now been revealed as one of the true authors of The Book, and since he moreover states that this book is accurate enough as description, it would seem that this must also be the answer provided in The Book itself
Quote:
During the torture scene, O'Brien reveals to Winston the true sinister genius of the Party and its plan. In a brilliantly written and now famous monologue, the whole Party principle and in fact the whole theory behind the book 1984 is summarized into a single Mephistophelean paragraph, ending with "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face -- for ever." Illustrating the timeless nature of the party against those who oppose it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldstein's_book

Good book --- 1984