Thread: Anonymous P2P
View Single Post
Old 08-12-03, 10:25 PM   #8
JackSpratts

so they're grossing $3996/mo per server if each server is filled to capacity while maintaining their stated 1.5MB individual bandwith margins (a GB divided by 1.5MB=666[users]X$6/mo). i don't know where they're buying those speeds for that money but one way would be to piggyback off some unused spectrum. at that rate they'll need 150 servers for each 100,000 users (soulseek's limit). they’ll need 7500 servers if they want to play in fasttrack's park.

can it be done? no doubt. you can throw enough resources at the problem and it goes away for a while. but it's an awfully centralized way to get around a legal predicament, and the law is very good at going after the center - it's easy to find. i'm more comfortable with decentralized solutions, they've proved the most effective so far. besides, i'd like to see any monies going to content providers directly and by that i mean the people who actually create the stuff. that 30 million dollars a month in subscription revenues (7500 serversx666usersx$6/mo) could buy a lot of guitar picks and go a long way generally if it went to the artists instead of yet another 3rd party parasite. p2p has been raining cash on straight laced corporate isp’s for four years running and they return the favor by rolling over to the riaa and whining on about "bandwidth hogs". personally i prefer free but if i’m going to pay i want my check cashed by a real musician with stringy hair and a habit. be kinda cool to see david crosby's name scrawled across the back.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote