View Single Post
Old 28-05-05, 03:24 AM   #7
multi
Thanks for being with arse

saw this interesting piece earlier...

Q The other day -- in fact, this week, you said that we, the United States, is in Afghanistan and Iraq by invitation. Would you like to correct that incredible distortion of American history --

MR. McCLELLAN: No, we are -- that's where we currently --

Q -- in view of your credibility is already mired? How can you say that?

MR. McCLELLAN: Helen, I think everyone in this room knows that you're taking that comment out of context. There are two democratically-elected governments in Iraq and --

Q We're we invited into Iraq?

MR. McCLELLAN: There are two democratically-elected governments now in Iraq and Afghanistan, and we are there at their invitation. They are sovereign governments, and we are there today --

Q You mean if they had asked us out, that we would have left?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, Helen, I'm talking about today. We are there at their invitation. They are sovereign governments --

Q I'm talking about today, too.

MR. McCLELLAN: -- and we are doing all we can to train and equip their security forces so that they can provide for their own security as they move forward on a free and democratic future.

Q Did we invade those countries?

MR. McCLELLAN: Go ahead, Steve.

Q Is Prime Minister Abbas doing enough to crack down on terror?

MR. McCLELLAN: First of all, let me start by saying that the President looks forward to welcoming President Abbas back to the White House tomorrow. President Abbas was elected as part of the democratic wave that is sweeping the Middle East. He was just elected this past January, so he is now coming to the White House this time as the democratically-elected leader of the Palestinian Authority. And the President looks forward to talking with him about a range of issues.

This is a hopeful moment in the Middle East, when Prime Minister Sharon is moving forward on his Gaza disengagement plan. And it's important that this disengagement effort is successful. We want to do all we can to support President Abbas and the Palestinian people as they work to put the institutions in place for a viable democratic state to emerge in those areas. And so we will be talking about that.

And we also expect the leaders will also be talking about the challenges that all parties have as we move forward on his two-state vision. The President strongly supports the two-state vision that he outlined of Israel and Palestine living side-by-side in peace and security. And the way to get there is the road map, and the road map spells out obligations that both parties have. And it's important that those responsibilities and obligations are met.

President Abbas has publicly spoken out against terrorism, and against violence aimed as Israelis. He's publicly spoken about stopping terrorism, and it's important that he continue to move forward to dismantle terrorist networks and organizations. That's one of the responsibilities he has.

As I said, all parties have responsibilities. Israel has responsibilities, as well, and the President has spoken very clearly about those, as well. And it's important that the security forces be reformed. We designated General Ward to go to the region to work with the Palestinians to reform those security forces. The Palestinian leadership has begun to take some steps to reform the security apparatus. There is more to do. And so that's what we will continue to urge them to move forward on -- the steps that they are taking -- we will continue to urge President Abbas to move forward on the steps he is taking to meet his responsibilities.

And as he does, and as the Palestinian people do, we will be there to stand with them and support them. And the international community, I believe, will be there to support them and stand with them as they work to put those institutions in place. The United States has made substantial commitments to the Palestinian Authority already in terms of financial assistance. Japan came forward recently with a commitment of significant financial resources. We urge others to do the same and do their part to help President Abbas and the Palestinian leadership as they move forward to fight corruption and end terrorism and build the institutions for democracy to emerge and put in place economic reforms.

Q Scott, a question about filibuster compromise. Unlike Republican leaders like Senator Frist, who said on the Senate floor that he thinks Democrats are trying to assassinate the President's judicial picks,more..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote