View Single Post
Old 01-04-02, 06:07 PM   #8
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

I agree it is a great tool for finding rare hard to find files. But not all that necessary for popular everyday files. I used Winmx as an example because it is popular and I read alot of comments about the amount of remote queues. I was hoping for a little more of a technical discussion. Opennap isn't a real good example I guess.

Sooo.... lets discuss gnutella and programs like Filenavigator. We all know Gnutella uses alot of bandwidth to route traffic. Now with Filenavigator you have access to 3 networks two of which require the user to route traffic. Gnutella and Filenav P2P.... Now consider the amount of bandwidth it takes to route traffic for both networks
Now figure your sharing 10 upload slots in your queue connected to 10+ opennap servers, Filenavs P2P, and Gnutella. Not to mention the amount of Downloads you may have going!! One can't help but notice this is going to drastically slow down not only transfer rates but traffic routing and increase remote queues In the end all we are doing is slowing down perfectly good "fast" independant networks with our need for more files in less time. Kinda defeating our own selves in the end.
AweShucks is offline   Reply With Quote