Thread: Cheney
View Single Post
Old 11-02-07, 08:40 PM   #96
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
Mind if I nitpick? From your own link:

I'm still wondering why this would concern a group whose stated purpose is "to promote humanitarian uses of science and technology." Are they afraid that Cheney's statistics dodging is an abuse of technology that violates human rights? As conspiracy theories go, this one is weak tea.

Like I was trying to say, Cheney will probably be impeached over far worse charges than snubbing the FAS and the ISOO.
to pick some nit back , regardless of AFS motivation, the ISOO obviously thinks there's a case. from the US News article:
Quote:
An important legal ruling is pending over Vice President Cheney's refusal to disclose statistics on document classification and declassification activity. The Information Security Oversight Office, which is responsible for the policy and oversight of the government's security classification system, has asked Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to direct Cheney's office to disclose these statistics.

Cheney's office provided the information until 2002 but then stopped doing so, J. William Leonard, the director of ISOO, told U.S. News. At issue is whether the office of the vice president is an executive branch entity when it comes to supporting the activities of the president and the vice president. The reporting requirements for disclosing classification and declassification activity fall under a presidential executive order.

"Basically the definition says that any entity of the executive branch that comes into possession of classified information is covered by the reporting requirements," says Leonard. "I have my understanding of what the executive order requires, and I'm going to the attorney general to ascertain if my reading of the executive order is correct."
the money quote: "But the office of the vice president is resisting even that minimal level of accountability."
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote