View Single Post
Old 06-02-04, 06:04 AM   #3
Gutrguy
Semiblind

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
In 5 years, the vast majority of performers will be with, and their music sold through, major music labels. For the record, I guarantee you right now, in 5 years I'll be able to say 'I told you so'. Not much will change. 10 years... maybe. The media or format will change, but the production and distributiosn method will remain largely the same.

It will likely be that way until the artists can put up the huge amounts of capital that it costs to make a record and distribute it worldwide (likeley... ) By the time that happens, what do most bands / artists do?...they start their own record label because they know how much fuckin money is in it for the record company.

Right now i can take my bands cd to the local music shop, they will stock it and if it sells they will get a percentage. I love having that kind of control over my music, that way, I get paid for my music, and not some record company. I may make $5 a cd if im lucky, and right now thats better than being signed with Sony and having them make $15 a cd while i get $0.15 a cd.

IF a time comes when its more profitable for us to sign with a major label, we probably will, but until then i will use any means i have to sell my music....if that means online, out of my trunk...whatever, i will do it. I will also put mp3's up on my bands website. Studio tracks are a lot different than the "concert experience" and that is where bands make their money. If i have to give my music away so people will come out and see me play...im all for it.

I think that today's musicians are a lot like me...and they will distribute their music any way they can before they sign with a big label...

Last edited by Gutrguy : 06-02-04 at 06:14 AM.
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote