Thread: Features I need
View Single Post
Old 02-06-02, 06:49 PM   #35
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by SA_Dave
You people are being rather harsh IMO.
Please don't make general statements like this unless you truely mean to verbally attack all broadband users. I for one have broadband, but I'm fully aware of the many different issues and reasons for why some people have to use p2p programs in specfic ways. I also believe that I have done a pretty decent job at adjusting to the many different needs and situations regarding the variaty of different users found on p2p programs. The problem is that currently just about all p2p programs don't have an effective way of fairly distributing bandwidth properly as TG has pointed out.

Don't be fooled into thinking that all broadband users don't appreciate 56k'ers because more then half the time we are downloading something from you since you still make up the majority in p2p programs. Without 56k users the speeds and que lines would be worst then they currently are. Every little bit of bandwidth helps when it comes to p2p.

There just needs to be a fair way to distingush users who have legitimate reasons for doing what they do rather then some users who just don't feel like sharing that day/month, or they don't want to share because they can selfishly get faster speeds. What I've noticed is that p2p programs in general are pretty anonymous and most of them allow you to change your ID with the blink of the eye. Because of this there is almost no consequence to their actions meaning that they can pretty much get away with also anything. Most p2p programs don't have a way to ban a users or have any kind of punishment for users not sharing simply because they don't want to. Although, a system like that has to be used and implemented fairly.

These users give users with valid reasons not to share a bad name. The problem is that we can't tell which is which or even which are truely lying. The only reason I know is that a few times I have been curious and have asked someone of these users why they don't share. Image my surprise when they admit that their only reason to not share because they don't want to. Some users also admit that they simply get better speeds if they don't share, which I interpret as, "you do all the work and I'll take all the benefits". What makes it worst is that some of these users state it calmly because they fully know that there's not much I can do about it. There's always someone else they can leech from. Currrent p2p programs don't do much in giving them incentives to change as TG and I have mentioned a few posts back.

And just to let you know SA_Dave and all 56k users, 9 times out of 10 I just let you guys download from me not matter what since you guys are going so slow. This is a very problematic issue which is further aggravated because of the very little willingness by many p2p program makers to solve it.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote