Thread: Dean a fool?
View Single Post
Old 21-01-04, 09:56 AM   #5
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Thumbs up Fair enough... I'm moving my post aswell....

Funny, I was going to say something similar - that in the UK, a politician doing the whole a-whoopin'-an'-a-hollerin' thing would basically be committing political suicide - with the exception of the late Screaming Lord Sutch (God bless you Lord Sutch).

Thing is, Dean may well have committed political suicide with his seemingly endless, rah-rah list of states and the cowboy cattle drive scream... but not because he came across as an arse... oh no, no. The speculation following his 'speech' was basically: "the more conservative elements of the Dem's will consider him too angry, too radical"! As if to say, "there's people out there who like this sort of dross - but not enough of them"! Nothing at all to do with the fact that he came across as a complete git, regardless of your political persuasion. Having said all that - it was only one caucus (and a disparate one at that).

I know where you're coming from malv, I personally cringed when I saw Dean's oafish rant - but I suspect there were a lot of Americans who cringed aswell (I must say, that my maximum cringe-bearing capacity was hit when he did the unintelligable scream at the end).

As for good ole' Boris... he occupies that mixed-sentiment niche in British society that is usually labelled 'National Treasure'. A curious cubbyhole, said to be occupied by 'amiable chaps', though more generally regarded as a dustbin for intellectual, yet harmless buffons (ie: Patrick Moore).

Boris Johnson's majority is transparent (translucent at best). He's popular and has a great deal of political sycophants simply because the public warm to him in a way that if any other Tory tried, they'd be labelled as a smarm. Sadly for Boris, his public popularity is based on his toff-ish absurdity - and that won't wash if the dire day ever came when his electability became an issue.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote