Thread: Dean a fool?
View Single Post
Old 21-01-04, 09:32 AM   #3
scooobiedooobie

Dean's 'I Have a Scream' Speech

Verne Gay

Howard Dean? Howard Beale? Or Howard the duck? Who exactly was that guy on TV the other night - with rolled sleeves, pumping fists, unusual rhetorical flourishes ("aaaarrrrggghhhh!") and a command of U.S. geography? ("Connecticut! ... New York! ... ... ... Ohio! ... ")

And loud. Very loud.

In one of the most remarkable concession-non-concession speeches in recent U.S. political history, the former governor of Vermont and Democratic presidential candidate gave supporters and viewers a performance Monday night that was both inspirational and riveting. But also - let's just get this out of the way right now - strange.

In the process, he left this important question hanging: Did he lose or did he win? (And this one too: Is Dr. Dean running for president of the United States, for the part of suicidal anchorman Howard Beale in a remake of the movie "Network" or for commissioner of World Wrestling Entertainment.)

The experts are divided. "Man, it was a little too close to a wrestling speech for my taste," said Smithtown's Mick Foley, a best-selling author, pro wrestler and former commissioner of the (yes) World Wrestling Federation (as WWE was previously known). "If he had leveled with the people, saying, 'I am disappointed [and] things are going to be tough down the home stretch ... ' Instead, we got a full-fledged WWE wrestling promo and that's not what I'm looking for in my president."

He added that "it appeared to me like he was a guy who had lost his mind, and I don't know if 'president' and 'maniacal' are supposed to be words that go hand in hand."

Motivational experts, however, disagreed. "I thought his approach last night was very appropriate in the context," said Jeff Keller, a motivational speaker based in Oyster Bay and author of "Attitude is Everything." "Here's a guy who suffered a crushing defeat and he has a base of support that's largely young people and young people respond to energy."

Seattle-based motivational expert Chris Widener, explains that Dean's passion on Monday night could cut two ways: "If you position him as a more regal type it wouldn't fly anyway [because] he's the firebrand. You want him to come out and get fired up. He's the one railing against the establishment." George W. Bush, he adds, "would never have yelled like that because people would have thought he was off his rocker." But "the downside of screaming," says Widener, "is that it gets down to: The guy with the nuclear football is given to emotional tirades. We want him to be even-tempered and regal."

What does the prince of passion have to say about all this? We speak, naturally, of Dick Vitale, veteran ESPN commentator and (of course) motivational speaker: "When you're energetic, a lot of good things are going to happen," he said in a phone interview. "I've seen it in my life."

Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.
scooobiedooobie is offline   Reply With Quote