View Single Post
Old 29-03-02, 08:30 AM   #15
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

In no particular order:
  • A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm. Stumbled across this album on import in '90, bought it on a whim, never looked back. Wore the vinyl out in no time, bought the CD too, and the cassette copy is about the only thing I still use my old walkman for.
  • Curtis Mayfield - Superfly. Isaac Hayes may have hit big with the Shaft soundtrack, but this is the real thing when it comes to Blaxploitation albums, in fact any kind of album
  • Tom Waits - The Best of ...(heheh, I know that's cheating, but that's the tape I had. Light the incense, roll the joint, put Tom on deck 1 and, yes, Dark Side of the Moon on deck 2, and light up. Ahhhh...
  • Public Enemy - It takes a nation... Yup, groundbreaking, merciless, pumping, whatever adjective you care to throw at it would probably be an understatement.
  • London Symphony Orchestra (con. Klaus Tennstedt) - Der Ring, Wagner. What can I say? He was a megalomaniac, he was an anti-semite, he was a lot of things people wouldn't like. But damn! what a work. DSOTM for the 19th century?
  • Al Green - Let's Stay Together Simply some of the best singing and songwriting ever combined in one album. I'm an atheist, but when I hear Al on this album, I can't help but think God himself put this man on Earth to show us the Way...
  • AC/DC - Back in Black. First cassette I ever owned (found it inside the first ever walkman I ever owned, never did find out why it was there). Track after track of headbanging, rump-shaking rock. I guess they had something to prove after Scott Bonner died, and prove it they did.
Not necessarily representative, but considering albums as a whole, these are the ones that stand out for me.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote