View Single Post
Old 01-09-05, 06:37 PM   #20
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Katrina Donations Rise as Bush Taps Father, Clinton for Effort

Sept. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Contributions for victims of Hurricane Katrina climbed to at least $82 million as President George W. Bush asked his father and former President Bill Clinton to lead a fund-raising effort.

Corporate giving made up a significant amount of the total, according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy, as companies from Abbott Laboratories to Johnson Controls Inc. pledge money and supplies. Jerry Lewis's annual Labor Day telethon will include celebrity appeals for Katrina victims and the Muscular Dystrophy Association plans to give $1 million to help.

``As people focus more on what needs to be done, clearly it's going to be one of the most significant philanthropic efforts that America has put together,'' said Evan Goldstein, a spokesman for the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...top_world_news

i doubt if i'm the first person to bring this up and i'm sure i won't be the last:

do we keep pumping money into Iraq at the rate of almost a billion dollars per week, while we attempt to fund relief efforts in Louisiana and Mississippi with charitable donations? so the people of Bagdhad can bank on the US taxpayer, but the people of Biloxi and New Orleans have to count on charity?

wtf is wrong with this picture?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote