View Single Post
Old 18-02-04, 01:45 AM   #86
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Quote:
Originally posted by span
"How come," I asked Andy, "whenever something upsets the Left, you see immediate marches and parades and rallies with signs already printed and rhyming slogans already composed, whereas whenever something upsets the Right, you see two members of the Young Americans for Freedom waving a six-inch American flag?"
"We have jobs," said Andy.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinner
Never, I have a job. Don't have time to go block traffic, smash windows and throw things at cops. But, I would attend this one if I had the time....
Wrong again. Now you're arguing that they're not all communist, now their aim isn't political change. Oh no, no. Now it's a case of them all being unemployed, motivated by a desire to smash up shops and start some trouble with the cops. Well, that aint true. As I said, diversity within protests is massive. There will be a (tiny) minority who'll take an anarchistic approach, but they generally represent no-one but themselves.

As for the unemployment issue, if you had ever been on a march/protest, you'd realise that numbers are generally higher on a weekend or after 5 o'clock. Even then, the vast majority of people who I know who take active participation are employed, and either juggle their working hours or (if all else fails) take some lieu/sick leave.

What's the next pre-prepared label?

Sinner: I'm not sure what you're picture is pointing out. I suspect you're using a picture of the IRA/SinnFein protests to twist my feeble, 'liberal' brain in knots.

Well, if the people marching are IRA members, and they're responding to (true) accusations of operating 'death squads', by suggesting that groups tantamount to 'death squads' were being operated by the the RUC, Loyalists, HM Prisons or the UK Government... then, they have a point. I don't want to berate you on this because I'm not sure what you're specific point is, but you should know by now that my attitudes to terrorism are usually more concerned with the reasons why it is occuring; and that suggestions of one side being worse than the other, when viewed in historical context, are usually misplaced.

Nice to see you back out of 'The Hole' again.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003

Last edited by tambourine-man : 18-02-04 at 05:17 AM.
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote