View Single Post
Old 15-09-08, 02:55 PM   #4
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

It would not have been better without O'Reilly, and here's why. Obama, despite being a politician, has high standards for himself and when he says, "I expect to be held responsible for the things I say and do," I believe him. When O'Reilly put the screws to the senator he made him make unequivocal statements (most politicians try to avoid doing that). He probably went back to watch the broadcast to hear his own statements and, since avoiding the flip flop moniker is important to him, he's going to stand by his statements.

Here are a few things I heard Obama say during the interview:
  • Iran is a major threat.
  • [The surge] succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.
  • Lets say we go up to 20% [capital gains tax].
  • I went to church to worship God.
  • I'm not against nuclear energy.
Right-wingers get attacked for making some of the same assertions Obama made during this interview, and I'm not saying it's a double standard, but when you hear Republicans make these same statements you can't say they're wrong if you think Obama is right. During the primaries he had to appeal to the extreme left wing of the Democrat party to get nominated, and he is liberal, but not as liberal as he lead on. It takes tough questions from a strict interviewer to reveal these things, and now that they have been revealed Obama will appeal to the center because that's where most of the voters are. He might even get me to vote for him.

Still, he couldn't concede the fact that the Bush tax cuts preceded an increase in federal revenue, and until he does I think he's not the right man for the job.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote