View Single Post
Old 31-01-02, 08:25 AM   #14
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Default Re: Thats unfair?

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
A bit harsh to me...

I always thought that the GUI was pretty ugly but designed to get the job done. And the Look-And-Feel of WinMX hasn't changed - still ugly but gets the job done

WinMx has always had a busy display, been able to show filenames, and numerous information about download/upload parameters, user details , and bandwith/queueing facilities, it has always been to top client to me, and I look forward to version 3.0 being more of the same with even better features.
Snark,

as I said it gets the job done. It's just that it doesn't look slick.

Microsoft (hope, it's not a no-no to mention them here...) has always done a superb job of making the often terrible, bug-ridden programs look sexy.
WinMX (being far less buggy) lacks this sexy quality. It looks a bit crude. But don't get me wrong. I perfer ugly-but-stable over sexy-but-unreliable any day.

Quote:
... which is more than can be said for some of the other mostrosities that I've tried, at least when I fix a column arrangement how I want it, it stays that way, not like some other clients (Morph) that still have not a decent hold on user viewing requirments.
Good point, that has always annoyed the hell out of me when it comes to Morph.

Quote:
Who the hell wants a screen that resembles some 15 year olds artist representation of a half eaten dinner?
We could debate over artsy GUI designs and skins all day. My view is: If the GUI is functional AND stylish then Halleluja.
But there is a tendency to stress stylishness over usabilty nowadays, which is a bad thing, I agree. Developers should concentrate on functionality first, then design (as in layout, not software design).

Quote:

Now then the Bugs, so far.... NO AUTO-BUSY retry, an essential feature in todays busy times...
Oh yes, a must have! WinMX 2.6 has "Auto Retry". So moving forward, WinMX 3.0 must have "Auto Retry/Resume" and "Search for more sources", "Pause" and so on. Stuff we are used to from Morph.

Stoepsel