View Single Post
Old 18-01-02, 09:44 AM   #9
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Njah Njah Not by me!

I too listen to lots and lots of modern instrumental music, but I got the impression Napho was talking about antique classics. Back in the days of Napster I went on an 'instrumental classics I remember from childhood' binge. (I used to go off on all kinds of themes--I once collected over 30 different versions of The Girl From Ipanema, and to this day no one can endure listening to them back to back, perhaps if only because of the way I cackle maniacally while playing it for them--especially during the Sammy Davis Jr. and Cher versions)

I remember once I made a post at the Napster forum along the lines of:

Does anyone know the name of that song that goes "DOO-DOO-DOOOOOOO-DOO-HEY-EY" and was in the soundtrack of On Any Given Sunday?

Of course no one knew what in the hell I was talking about, but eventually I found out it was Rock and Roll Part II by Gary Glitter, which I still love even though this 'Mr. Glitter' person seems to be a very silly fellow.

Some other all around good classic instrumental bands I'd mention would be The Ventures (Walk Don't Run, Theme From Hawaii Five-O), Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (The Lonely Bull, Tijuana Taxi, Taste of Honey, Spanish Flea), and Los Indios Tabajaras. (L.I.T. rocks; legend has it they were two Brazilian indians who found a guitar in the forest and taught themselves to play it. Beautiful stuff--you may have heard Maria Elena somewhere before--a real classic.)

A few other fun and funky classics that leap to mind are Ray Anthony: Peter Gunn Catastrophe, Hot Butter: Popcorn, The Edgar Winter Group: Frankenstein, Apollo 100: Joy (pre-switched-on-Bach), The Tornadoes: Telstar, Mason Williams: Classical Gas, Hugo Montenegro: The Theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Booker T. and the MGs: Green Onions... ok--my brain is shutting down in a fog of surf classics with no names... I'd have to dig through my burns for a more comprehensive list...

I also always really liked the long instrumental section at the end of the studio version of Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, which I thought was a completely unrelated song for years and years--it's got that High Plains Drifter feel, a quality I demand in my wordless oldies...

As for post-bronze-age relics, I'd say Eno's Ambient series is way up there. (Music for Airports, I guess, really is a classic in its own right after all) And anything by Harold Budd, The Plight and Premonition and Flux and Mutability pieces by David Sylvian and Holger Czukay, the Soundscape series by Fripp, anything by Jon Hassell, Hans Joachim Roedelius, Dr. L. Subramaniam, Djivan Gasparyan, Ravi Shankar, Gavin Bryars, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Somei Satoh, Isao Tomita, Mike Oldfield (especially Ommadawn, which I've been hooked on lately), Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Ryuichi Sakamoto... and this is but to name a scant few and barely scratch the surface of the pre-post-modern era...
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote