View Single Post
Old 25-03-04, 02:32 AM   #1
CORRUPTERBUSTER
Apprentice Napsterite

Default Protect yourself at all times

You know what guys, this whole thing with everyone getting shut down there is always another creeping up that we don’t know about. I wonder how long it would take them to realize this is a fight that cannot be won or lost. I have been spending a good part of the night reading everyone’s post and threads and we got some really smart people in this forum there are not any in other that I have been too.

We are committing a crime? I say a crime of what. Where I live I have cable internet and I am doing rather well in speed, so far my internet provider has 70 confirmed people that they turned over to the RIAA. Now that number might not seem like a lot to you guys, and keep thinking that because this internet provider spans 14 states. We are not the fastest but we are getting there. My point in all this is the people who allow them selves to get caught.

I set up computers for a living I know it doesn’t sound like much but I make an easy buck. I get $30.00 just to set up the computer and $15.00 for each available component, Printer, scanner, web-cam. The computers that I set up have antivirus software already pre-installed along with a firewall. I set these up for free and set them up so that they cannot mess with them in anyway. (Password) The reason I tell people this is it is for their own protection and I make darn sure that the passwords are as many and 100 characters long just to play it safe from hackers. I just put the passwords on a floppy name it to the computer and the person and file here at home.

I cannot stress to people enough never to accept any kind of pop up warning even if it is from your own internet provider. It just doesn’t work that way. When the cable company visited me just a few days ago they said they were checking my lines to see how my service was. I said I wasn’t having any problems, but they just had to come into the house and check it all out. They came into my office and saw my computer tower and then asked where my modem was, I pointed to the closet and a guy walked over and the door was locked. He said he had to get at the modem to check the line and I said, no you don’t because the line the leads to the modem is right there down by your feet and that door isn’t coming open unless you bring me a search warrant.

You see how easy it is to get your self busted, I had to pull that server out of the closet in the middle of the night and take it over to my dads to keep it there for a while until I knew for sure, and I was right because they did come over with the police and a search warrant to check out a closet that had a Linksys modem attached to the wall, and a few jackets hanging in there. Then the truth came out right in front of everyone. And I said it just like this, “No bells and flashing lights, the only reason why you people are here is because your tech’s can’t get past my firewalls, to see what is on my computer tell me if I am wrong”? What could the guy say? Want to know what he said, how many firewalls do you have, and that is when I pointed right to his chest and said that is non of your business what is on my computer your only business is to keep that services coming into my home.

Having a server isn’t legal but what is on that server and the hard drives might be. Do I see a bit paranoid? Your dam Skippy I am, If I want to run five firewalls to protect myself and my property isn’t that my choice?

I protect all my customers as well and everyone who reads this don’t leave your ass hanging out in the wind protect your self at all times and if you are not sure turn off your computer. Sorry for the long story, but I hope my point got across.
CORRUPTERBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote