View Single Post
Old 01-11-04, 06:56 PM   #15
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I guess we'll see who it backfired on tomorrow.

Looking back on the last half of the 20th century you have to wonder if Republicans ever had any more influence than they've had the past two years. Congress was in the tight grip of the Democrats for four decades, and despite the presence of a few Republicans in the Oval Office every once in a while, the government was still a dynasty of Democrats. In that time the cold war gave way to the war on terrorism and thus it was when the Republicans finially took the reigns of power. Now the Republicans are despairate to maintain power and the Democrats are even more despairate to regain it.

Osama Bin Laden may be the indirect product of American power struggles but no public servant will admit they supported him, nor will any politican accuse any other of doing so (the political backlash of either statement would end careers). They're certainly capable of killing civilians for their own reasons, and I've heard stories too. But if politicians really wanted to kill for profit 1) they wouldn't kill 3,000 people and 2) they wouldn't hire foreign nationals to do it for them. When the President wants to down an airline jet with 300 passengers to kill just one drug lord he uses an American missile to do it. That is considered acceptible risk because 1) it doesn't leave thousands of families and their congressional representatives asking a lot of questions and 2) it's under his direct control.

I suspect that had the 9/11 attack been in any way sponsored by the government, or even just a small part of it, then credible information would have been leaked by now, if not by a government insider then by a foreigner who was involved. Any credible reports of government involvement would have been reported in the news, given the volatility of the current political environment. Accusations would fly back and forth, and people would be trying to build their reputations on damning those involved. Eventually someone would be tried for treason. But none of these things have happened. It's been three years, and if the attack involved anyone besides the Al Qaeda terrorists then it would only be a matter of time before eveyone knew about it.

If I sound like a hardliner in support of the current administration then that just means the President's opponents have gone to such extreme measures to demonize him that common sense looks like a polar extreme. My support for Bush isn't that strong, I just consider him the lesser of two evils. I cannot let fear of a possible but highly unlikely plot against the public rule my mind. I'm sure such a design does exist somewhere, there is a conspiracy, but it's well hidden and ineffectual as far as I can see. I'm not scared.

I do believe in America, the Consititution that governs it, and the people who live and work to make this nation great. Such a system would be dificult to undermine, though there are some who may try. However those of us who vote and participate know that the government is what we make of it, and if more people knew that then we wouldn't have to worry about politicians undermining our security. That's what makes this and future elections so important. It doesn't matter who has the power as long as it's the voice of the people who grant that power, and that's where I'm putting my faith.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote