View Single Post
Old 24-05-02, 05:28 PM   #30
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
But what bugs me, is that instantly, there were 8 uploads, and 9 in queue for MY large file size movies. Yet when I browsed THEIR files, only ONE of those people were sharing movies! All the rest were either sharing nothing (2 of them), or else sharing a handfull of songs is all.
You make a very valid point Dawn and the problem deserves further discussion.

My own experience is the same: movies and songs mix badly on the same network and on same conditions. A typical movie is 600 MB, a typical song 6 MB or less. This two magnitude difference results in totally different download and queuing dynamics for the two types of objects but still the traffic is channeled through a single queue/bandwidth control system. Queues are not that bad for music collectors as long as they move forward and the queuers get their files at the end. But for movie downloads it would be essential to have minimal queues so that multisourcing could be efficiently utilized.

As Dawn's comments demonstrate movie collectors are often not interested in mp3s so even a large shared mp3 library may not count as much sharing for them. The same applies also the other way round: several gigabytes worth of movies counts only as a few shared files, making a movie-sharing person falsely look like a non-sharer for those checking their uploaders with Whois info.

The paradox is that the software itself would fit quite well for both purposes. The problem arises mostly from the mixing of two differently oriented communities.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote