Thread: absolute power
View Single Post
Old 28-11-05, 07:53 PM   #23
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

next up for the GOP hall of shame is Duke Cunningham, California Congressman:
Quote:
SAN DIEGO - Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, a Vietnam War ace and eight-term congressman, resigned Monday after pleading guilty to taking $2.4 million in bribes from defense contractors and others that went to pay for a condominium in Virginia, a Rolls Royce and other luxury items.

Prosecutors said Cunningham, a Republican, used his influential position as a member of a House Appropriations subcommittee to secure defense contracts worth tens of millions of dollars for people who bribed him.
at least he went out like a man:
Quote:
I am resigning from the House of Representatives because I've compromised the trust of my constituents.

When I announced several months ago that I would not seek re-election, I publicly declared my innocence because I was not strong enough to face the truth. So, I misled my family, staff, friends, colleagues, the public -- even myself. For all of this, I am deeply sorry.

The truth is -- I broke the law, concealed my conduct, and disgraced my high office. I know that I will forfeit my freedom, my reputation, my worldly possessions, and most importantly, the trust of my friends and family.
it's hard to imagine such a display of frankness and humility from congressmen like Tom Delay, Conrad Burns, Bob Ney, John Doolittle et al but their time is coming all the same. here's a nice state-by-state scorecard of GOP leaders with legal exposure - i'd post it but it's too damn big.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote