View Single Post
Old 10-08-05, 04:10 AM   #13
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Hmm, only two people think Iraq will have a constitution within five years?

After the USA declared its independence it took just under five years for the Articles of Confederation to be ratified. It only took our fore fathers that long because at the time there were very few precidents. And they didn't get it quite right the first time so they wrote a new one that was ratified six years later, and the current constitution is the oldest one still in force on this Earth. You'd think with that kind of experience under our belt, and with dozens of other consitituions and charters in force around the world, that with the help of American and UN ambassadors Iraq should have a working constitution very soon.

Look guys, I think the people of Iraq deserve the chance to govern themselves, and I think they're fully capable of doing so. Is what is happening now really so unbelievable?
i don't see that there is much about iraq that is analgous to America's fight for independence 200 years ago. we organized, rose up and confronted an oppressive colonial power, took some help from other countries who also wished to see that power weakened, and eventually prevailed thanks to determination, luck, and good leadership. our government came together from people who shared that struggle and shared common goals.

iraq is a whole other ballgame: it was an oppressed country who was invaded by an major power without invitation or consent of it's people. it was stripped of it's bureaucratic infrastructure and left in ruins - now it's being ostensibly handed back to a group of people who have competing interests and hidden agendas (including fronting for other countries like Syria, Iran, and the US). the pressure for a constitution is being set, not by thier own efforts, but by the US, who is in a hurry to make the process look successful.

not that it will really matter: the constitution, like the january elections, are paper milestones. out in the street, many see the oppressor is us and so the battle rages on.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote