View Single Post
Old 23-01-05, 01:31 PM   #294
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

I think that "zer©share" is a good idea, I like it.

The logo "zer©share" seems to more clearly convey the intent of the network than "zer0share".

Special characters that are not in common use are sometimes not represented by the same code across different fonts. I was initially concerned that the symbol may be represented by different codes in different fonts. I did some pseudo-random checking (Arial, Times New Roman, Microsoft Sans Serif, a few others) and this does not appear to be a problem. However, my test was not very scientific or extensive. The character seems to be farily well established at code 0xA9 (Alt+0169). [Chuckle] How appropriate that the code ends with a "69". The code seems situated soundly enough to be used in the network name.

In smaller fonts it may be difficult to recognize, but it probably will not be more of a problem than misinterpretation of the numeric zero in "zer0share" as an uppercase letter "O". I suppose the symbol could be mistaken for the "at sign" (@). Example: © vs @ The clarity between the two depends on the font and character size.

The only drawback is that the copyright symbol is not commonly assigned to a key on most keyboards (LOL, Unless you work for the RIAA/MPAA, in which case the copyright symbol and dollar symbol are probably the ONLY keys present on your keyboard).

We could instruct members to form the symbol by holding down the ALT key and entering the numbers 0169 on the numeric keypad. If the keyboard does not have a numeric keypad, the (Windows) character map function could be used. Cut/Paste works too.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote