View Single Post
Old 28-01-05, 01:33 AM   #3
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

I'm going to mention ProtoWall, as I think it's better because it uses less resources. PeerGuardian works fine, but when I tried it last it was a bit of a resource hog. I haven't tried PeerGuardian for a while, maybe they reworked it.

PeerGuardian and ProtoWall are both IP blockers that prevent "undesirable" IP addresses from connecting to your computer. These IP addresses come from a list in a file named guarding.p2p. Both programs use this file. The file should be regularly updated for maximum protection. Note that this is not 100% protection.

Whereas ProtoWall may be better, you may not be able to use it unless you have administrator rights on the computer you are using. ProtoWall requires the manual installation of a "driver" service in the TCP/IP properties for the internet connection. ProtoWall will only work on Windows XP, 2000, and 2003 Server operating systems.

Should you want to try ProtoWall, it is available free here:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/pw.html

Be sure to get the FAQ too, as it has the necessary instructions to install the driver.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote