View Single Post
Old 20-03-02, 02:30 AM   #10
assorted
WAH!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethen
I thought it was a joke of some sort.

I read it 4 times and couldnt see how anyone would make money with some of those ideas.
(edit)
Just look what they are doing to net radio shoutcast/icecast.
agreed that some of the ideas are wacky; but it's the premise that counts. if you decide it's a given that filesharing of any file has won the battle already (if not officially); then the next interesting point is how $$ will be made from music. there's no doubt (in my mind) that music will still be made; and good music at that. so what she writes is interesting as she's a writer for a mainstream publication agreeing with that principle from the get go.

btw; what are they doing to netradio and shoutcast? unless you mean CARP; which yeah; will just obliterate it (already has basically).

tg:

thx for pointing out the she is a he and an editor for wired; i didn't realize. also the list you reprinted is fun; i like these as being decent concepts:

• You subscribe to a private record label whose agents troll the bars, filtering out the garbage, and send you the best underground music based on your own preferences.

not exactly quite what i'm thinking; but correct. no matter what; people still need a middle man; a fact discussed ages ago on napster forums. someone has to filter what is made for people with different tastes; or just the "crap" from what's "good"; and people will still pay for $$ for that service if it's good.

• The most popular band in the world produces only very good ''jingles,'' just as some of the best directors today produce only very good commercials.

Moby has already done this. The album "Play" was I believe entirely presold to adverts and film 6 months after it's release. Pop success followed later (as a NY Times article in the same magazine points out). This is already common and will continue to be a cash cow for musicians; even more so once the labels as we know it are rubbed out.

• Because you like to remix dance tunes, you buy the versions of songs that are remix-ready in all 24 tracks.

this is a way to make $$; and exciting. just not nearly as much $$ as other ideas and not really even worth noting in a way as it has a very limited appeal.

• For bands that tour, giving away their music becomes a form of cheap advertising. The more free copies that are passed around, the more tickets they sell.

this is something we've been saying (along with some artists like pete townsend) for some time now.

it's fun to watch and try to predict....