View Single Post
Old 03-01-02, 02:56 AM   #6
eclectica
SLX: prisoner of war / missing in action

Quote:
(from the article)

To this end, Fripp uses his technique called Frippertronics, solo guitar work based on delay and repetition and involving tape loops and sound layering.
When listening to the song, I am reminded of the ending of Yes's song "The Gates of Delirium".

This example we have here, of the song "Refraction", sounds to me like keyboards or strings hooked up to a delay and sound layering, but it would be hard to convince me that the actual noises we are hearing are coming from a guitar. That's what it seems like the writer is implying to me, but that may be due to a poor wording. In any case I understand that the work was created by Fripp the solo guitarist, who happened to choose other instruments when composing this.

Here is a sample of Roy Montgomery, who uses a lot of reverb and mixing, with an actual guitar as the instrument:
Roy Montgomery - departing the body 7 MB

This is from the Roy Montgomery CD:

Temple IV was recorded on a Tascam Porta One 4-track cassette recorder at E. 13th St., New York City, between January 15 and January 22, 1995, using a Teisco six-string guitar, microreverb, Digitech time machine, Rat distortion box and Boss digital delay pedal.

People have different types of music that they associate with the tragic events. You get Fripp's song, which is pretty mellow, as contrasted to the Montgomery song, which to me is more suited for the mood of September 11th.

Check out these two shockwave files. The first one has Ismael Lo playing in the background and I feel it goes with the images, but the second one has Enya playing, and to me it doesn't go with the mood of the pictures. But maybe they used the Enya song because it is such a long song, and it works well for a repetetive loop:
http://www.tatom.org/why_rf.swf .6 MB
http://www.tatom.org/public/attack.swf 7 MB

Last edited by eclectica : 24-01-02 at 10:51 PM.
eclectica is offline   Reply With Quote