View Single Post
Old 19-08-05, 07:42 PM   #72
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
unfortunately, the desire for regime change is not a legal justfication for war
Sez who?

I think the argument could be made that a majority of Americans supported an invasion before Powell asked the UN for its blessing, though I admit I have no evidence to support this claim. It should have been enough for Powell to tell the UN, "Look at all of your sanctions that Iraq is violating, that's why you should support us." It wasn't until after the UN decided they didn't want us enforcing their sanctions and inspections that WMD's became an issue as a last ditch attempt to build a consensus. But here's the thing: the UN had decided long before that they wouldn't support a war, and the US had decided long before that it would pursue a war.

The WMD argument wasn't a justification for our war, it was an attempt to build consesus for a war we were going to start anyway. If the administration lied to the UN, so what?

But if you're so hung up on this issue I want to remind you of three truths:
  • We knew Saddam wanted WMD's
  • We knew he was capable of aquiring them because he had done so before
  • We knew he was capable of using them because he had done so before, against Iraqis!
I don't know about you, but I feel like the world is a safer place now that he's behind bars, and you can bet that about 20,000,000 Iraqis breathed a huge sigh of relief when he was arrested.

Those reasons, combined with his past actions of firing missiles at our planes, violating the no fly zones, bribing UN officials, and generally abusing his power to rape his own nation of its wealth and culture more than justified his ouster.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote