View Single Post
Old 12-02-02, 09:47 AM   #15
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
you encountered a "heavy user" nanook, someone who may pull in 1-300 files a day. heavy users must try multiple d/ls of the same file, 10 or more (sometimes 50), to get around the constant queuing and server overlap that handicaps winmx. it works like this: keep clicking until you get a file that actually starts to download and then cancel the ones that don't. then click a bunch more until you get some that d/l FAST, then dump the slow ones and so on until you have some decent double or triple digit speeds. run 2 or 3 in case you lose a few or get one with digiburps. this way you're guaranteed at least one good file. this has been a strategy that's worked well for months. until now. lately the pipes are so clogged that even this doesn't work and power users find themselves having to settle for a slowpoke upload from a 56ker.

as someone who utilizes this tactic on certain occasions (but who also uploads 700 songs a week) i know from first hand experience that winmx is quickly becoming the last place to go for a "quick feed". i'm employing the services of 56kers much more than i'd like. it's either that or wait hours or days to come off queue. why it happens on one app and not another is explained perhaps by the multi-source downloading employed by some clients and not others. of course if i could find the songs in the faster apps i'd just use them but alas you have to follow the files...wherever they lead.

- js.
i'm sorry jack, but u make these "heavy" users sound like it's a matter of life and death to download 31 songs at one sitting, or even 300 in one week. like some addict or something.
i'm lucky if i have the "time" to get maybe one song a day, 5 per week.
and u make it sound like i should have sympathy for this poor soul.
well, i don't!
i will download only "one" song per user and limit myself to maybe, 2 downloads for myself, at one sitting, if i don't mind sitting there waiting and will be online. but i have to remember that while i download, everything else i do on the computer takes 10 times longer to load and respond.
but i set these conditions for myself, out of respect for other users, who i know, are being pretty patient with my 56k, and allow me the 20-40 minutes, it will take to get ONE song.
so i find it pretty lame for this "heavy user" to have no respect of me or any other 56k.
to make our 30 minute song now take friggin 60 minutes.
i don't sit and look at every user, like i said, 99 % of all the users, when i had looked at "whois" for other reasons were sharing, even if only 30 files. i figure they're new to the app.
and i always allow them to upload, and i know it's going to take all atleast 20-30 minutes. it comes with the territory of the 56k.
i use the same tatics u refer to, but still only come right down to one download and i allow one upload.
that's it.
mr. 31 downloads can

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote