View Single Post
Old 28-02-02, 10:49 AM   #3
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

I tend to disagree with Mr. Laffey's contention actually, simply because it is formulaic--and anti-formulaic is just the mood I'm in currently, as you may notice in the last few opinion threads I've replied to here at the music forum. I went on at some length in the rap thread to express my disdain for formula and genres, and such 'outlines' as Mr. Laffey's are the well intentioned origins of such. Certainly a lot of the music I appreciate does follow these 'rules,' but I think it's just as important that musicians be willing to 'break them.'

For one thing, the above formula presupposes that the lyric or 'story' element of the music is of primary importance and that the music itself should take a 'backseat' to the literal content of a song. This very contention could be said to be the very element which makes so much pop and rap music so uninteresting.

Musicians, as well as producers, should spend more time making the music that's in their heads, and less time making up formulaic rules, or observing what has made other pieces of music successful.

That's my new rule.

And P.S., I am truly interested in the art of making music, which, I beleive, is something no producer's formula or public opinion poll can teach you.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote