View Single Post
Old 16-07-02, 07:49 AM   #11
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabeater

eh? it's 4 numbers and 3 dots that myself and my isp know equally well.

they could calculate it themselves, but it would stop them just being able to block one port for all customers and instantly deal with the problem.

you think they'll bother to reprogram a port-blocking system to calculate ports using an ip-based algorithm? it'd be an expensive project when you think of the millions of customers (possibly) that such a system would have to deal with.

also, remember that the 'take 5 from each, add together, multiply by 10' was an example. anything actually used could be far, far more complex, and proprietary if need be.
i could guarantee you 90% of pc users worldwide (including a few nu members) have no idea what their actual ip address is at any given moment and maybe 50% of those people have no idea what an internet protocol number is in the first place. their isps on the other hand absolutely have to know by definition, but this is a side issue nonetheless.

furthermore, all an isp has to do is use the algorithm to calculate this new port once, and within seconds have it for every subscriber on their network. it’s no work at all to block one additional port per customer, even if each succeeding one is different. i’m not saying it’s a bad idea alphabeater, on the contrary, it’s a good one. as a matter of fact it’s the best idea i’ve heard in a long while that deals with this problem. but i am saying that encryption may be required, and that the number used to choose a new port must in no way be accessible to your isp and probably not to you either by extension. it will make it more complicated for your firewall but hey, nobody says you have to use one. personally, i like the idea of running p2ps on stand alone pcs with no firewalls anyway. it’s so much easier and they’re so much faster all around. i call it ”skinny dipping”. just back-up your downloads regularly (including your new p2ps themselves and all their settings) and if you get hit a simple quick restore/reinstall puts you back in business.

- js.

another ip# look-up.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote