View Single Post
Old 09-11-08, 07:55 PM   #46
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
You can hardly claim that the Democrats trounced the Republicans with a mere 52% of the popular vote. The 57.4 million who voted for McCain are far too many to be considered to be on the fringe of American politics. The reason they live in thinly populated fly-over country because they grow the food and mine the minerals and fuels that keep city dwellers like you and me fat and happy. They also supply the majority of military personnel. Be glad they don't hold people like you in the same regard as you hold them, else those red areas might decide to close their borders and the military might decide to go on strike. You can breathe easy, red-state Americans are much too patriotic to do such a thing, but I wouldn't take them for granted if I were you.
no, actually, it's just the right-wing ideologues and the American Taliban (aka evangelicals) factions that i find detestable - i'm ok with the rest of red America. and i agree, it was strictly an electoral trouncing, not a popular one.

that being said, the meme that 1)the electorate is really just yearning for the GOP to return to their conservative roots and 2)when they do, they'll be swept back into power is more than a little silly and not borne out by any post-election polling data whatsoever. now more than ever, Americans are painfully aware of government's place in their lives and they voted with the expectation that government should do more, not less. the election was not about making government bigger - it was about making government more competent. check your ideology at the door, red america - we're all in this together.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote