View Single Post
Old 29-01-07, 05:00 PM   #13
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

That's a fine opinion to have, and I understand where you're coming from, Vern. It's just my opinion that in a western democratic/capitalist society the market determines what's fair. I can tell you, working for a small company with a handful of employees, that my boss isn't a fat cat getting rich by paying some of his employees seven dollars an hour. Around here we earn what we're worth, it's only fair.

Face it, some people just aren't worth as much as everyone else.

The minimum wage isn't about making things fair, it's about keeping people from falling so far below the poverty line that they'll never recover. It's the so called safety net you hear about sometimes. People earning minimum wage should be motivated to work harder and earn more to better support themselves and their families. But if you raise the minimum wage too much you take away that motivation. The true measure of any welfare system is the number of people it helps raise above the poverty line. Raising the minimum wage also raises the poverty line, if you think about it, and raising it too much actually puts more people below the line than above it.

In the case of this congress, the Democrats are trying to buy the votes of the poor with someone else's money. In this case, raising the minimum wage is also unethical as well as unfair. That's how I see it.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote