View Single Post
Old 02-02-07, 11:37 AM   #31
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver View Post
So what you say is that the people have the right to vote but once their vote casted, they have to shut the fuck up?
Sinner pretty much summed it up for me, but I can field an answer to this question. We have the right in America to say pretty much whatever we want to, as per the 1st Amendment. Our lawmakers, by the grace of being elected democratically, have the right to ignore whatever we say if they so choose. It's my opinion that they should avoid the inherent bias of our opinions and look after our needs instead. And because we elect them based on the promises they make prior to election day I think they should stick to their promises even if public opinion varies. In this particular instance I think Bush should do what he was reelected to do: win the war in Iraq. And I think the Democrats should do what they were given a majority in Congress to do: keep Bush focused on successfully and safely bringing the troops home in a timely manner.

I made a prediction a while back that phased troop withdrawals would begin by the end of this year. If the Democrats have their way the pullout will be much shorter in duration than I predicted, but as long as we don't leave Iraq in utter chaos I won't mind too much.

Anyway, there you have it. In a republic the representatives, not the people, get to make the important, time-sensitive decisions, and the closer they stick to their promises, the more conviction they have, and the less attention they pay to the fickle opinions of the day, the better off we all are.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote