Thread: Connecticut
View Single Post
Old 14-08-06, 08:20 AM   #32
Repo

Three-term incumbent Sen. Joe Lieberman lost in the Democratic primary to as the media like to call him, the antiwar candidate Ned Lamont. Some would portray Lamont's victory as a sign that the Democratic Party has moved farther to the left. I would make the point that it is not the Democrats that have moved farther to the left but Lieberman that has moved farther to the right. Lieberman has always been in favor of school vouchers, a Republican plan to give public money to private schools. Like many of his former party he voted for the Iraq War but unlike many in his former party he agrees with President Bush to stay the present course even as current conditions in Iraq worsen. Those are issues that you can give some leeway to as far as bipartisanship goes. But and it is a big but, Joe Lieberman sided with the conservative Republicans on the Terri Schiavo legislation to prevent a doctor from doing what a doctor and the state felt was appropriate, letting a brain dead person die. That proves Lieberman has shifted to the right, whether he sees it or not, the Democratic Connecticut primary voters saw it and removed him. Bush publicly kissed Joe Lieberman on the cheek because he knew he could depend on Lieberman. Connecticut Democrats symbolically told Lieberman he could kiss a cheek a little lower down the body. Losing the Democratic primary didn't stop Lieberman he immediately started his campaign as an independent candidate. Not exactly what one would expect from the last vice presidential candidate, too have total disregard for the democratic process and run against the people's choice for his senate seat. Joe Lieberman is the new Zell Miller, a Republican pretending to be a Democrat. Joe Lieberman has gone from a man one could respect to an angry, bitter man trying to cling to power, it's pathetic really...

Republicans are trying to spin Lieberman's loss into a positive for themselves. White House Press Secretary Tony Snow said, "I know a lot of people have tried to make this a referendum on the president; I would flip it, I think instead it's a defining moment for the Democratic Party, whose national leaders now have made it clear that if you disagree with the extreme left in their party they're going to come after you." That is a very interesting comment. Consider the following and then reread Snow's comment...

As it turns out Joe Lieberman wasn't the only incumbent to lose his primary. Republican Rep. Joe Schwarz also lost. Schwarz is a moderate; he lost to ultraconservative Tim Walberg, who was supported by the Michigan Right to Life and the conservative Club for Growth. There is one common element between Joe Lieberman and Joe Schwarz other than their first name, they both supported Bush's Iraq War, and Schwarz was even endorsed by Bush and Sen. John McCain. Tony Snow is vilifying the Democratic Party's national leaders for supporting the winner of the Democratic Party primary. Lieberman is now not just a disgruntled former Democrat but a stooge for the Republican Party. By running an independent campaign against the Democratic Party primary winner he is hurting the party that would have made him vice president in a selfish power grab that only helps the Republican Party. Joe Lieberman will be now known as a sore loser and a disgraceful politician...

As mentioned, Tony Snow said, "I know a lot of people have tried to make this a referendum on the president; I would flip it, I think instead it's a defining moment for the Democratic Party, whose national leaders now have made it clear that if you disagree with the extreme left in their party they're going to come after you." Lets flip it again. The president endorsed Joe Schwarz and Joe Schwarz lost. Schwarz supported abortion rights and embryonic stem cell research. It may be a defining moment for the Republican Party because it is clear that if you disagree with the extreme right in their party they're going to come after you. Of course I am using Tony Snow's words to show that one could spin Schwarz' loss just as easy as Snow spins Lieberman' loss for his party. One thing that is clear is that both Joes, Lieberman and Schwarz were linked to Bush and both lost. Maybe the extremes in both parties are taking over or it is a referendum on the president, the public being tired of a failed Bush Administration and want change. Either way, change is coming and change is good...
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote