View Single Post
Old 26-06-02, 02:59 AM   #18
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's
Default Re: Re: Leeching by any other name...

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyth
I meant 'cost' generally not as in cash money. Leeching from universities does cost almost nothing. I can still go onto Kazaa, WinMX or whatever and download whatever I want quite fast. Banning involuntary leecher won't produce a noticeable increase in my transfer rates...
How do you know it won't? Do you have access to a control study involving a separate FT or WinMX network where leeching was not allowed and then compared the speeds on the leech-ridden network to the leech-free network?

You seem to be implying that people's actions have no consequences upon the network. But something as simple as the Bot was crippling eDonkey, and that was only automated server searching (i think).

People getting a file are using the p2p's resources, they are using general internet resources, they are using the filesharer's resources and they are using upload slots. This has an effect on everyone. If, in turn they are sharing, then I regard the price (in resources used up by the file receiver) to be worth paying. If they do NOT share in turn, then I do NOT regard the price of allowing them to get a file from me to be worth paying.

I don't cut off people with speeds below ~6kbps (i figure dial-up folks deserve a break). But if you're getting something from me at 20kbps, not sharing anything, and giving me bullshit excuses like "My PC just crashed and I don't have anything to share (PS what would you like to trade?)", then you can kiss your transfer bye-bye.

I'd willingly have all my upload slots taken by 56k sharers rather than have a single one ever go to a T1, class-A leech.

Grrrrrr rant foam snarl

<twinspan takes a chill pill and then calmly waits for FU RIAA to come out>

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote